• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The CM Punk thread

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay I think it's time this entire thing got it's own thread. If you saw RAW you saw one of the best promos in the history of pro wrestling. WWE has "suspended" him indefinitely.

More and more information is coming out on the situation. Here's the latest thing I read; who knows if it's all legit.

According to a reliable source in WWE, CM Punk’s memorable shoot promo that ended Monday’s episode of WWE RAW was entirely unscripted and improvised by Punk. Punk was instructed to go out and say in his own words why he was leaving the company, and nobody in the back new what he was going to say.

Company officials (and the entire locker room) were watching Punk’s promo very closely in case he went too far – and despite all the taboo things mentioned by the #1 contender to the WWE championship, the production team was only told to cut the segment when WWE’s anti-bullying campaign was mentioned, as the company does not want the program’s legitimacy questioned by bringing it into a storyline.

Punk ‘s frustration with not being featured as a top superstar in WWE is legitimate and one of the reasons he’s been strongly considering leaving WWE.

As far as his contract status, Punk’s deal apparently expired the second week of July, but he recently signed an extension to work through the Money in the Bank pay-per-view on July 17th.

Based on what we are hearing, Punk really will be leaving WWE after Money in the Bank for at least a few months.
Hopefully this isn't a one and done situation. I'd hate to get all excited about this and then Punk to just lose to Cena and leave.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Sup?
Imagine if WWE had the balls to let CM Punk "leave" the company with the title and go wrestle in other companies defending the WWE title. He'd pick randoms out of the crowd to wrestle him and then one night it would be Randy Orton in disguise.

Another night it could be Cena in disguise.

Eventually pushing him back to the WWE.

I reckon it could bring a lot of indy fans to the WWE if done correctly.

I mean this idea would probably screw up, mainly because of how high profile these guys are.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I really hope that it isn't "one and done" as Millz said, but man this new rumor really makes it sound bad. They really have lightning in a bottle right now, and it would behoove the WWE to keep this going.

I mean, not only are fans abuzz but as far as twitter and their own websites current and former wrestlers were/are acting like they're fans too over this...it's just nuts.

Ziggy

Sup?
Start to an edgier WWE?

Probably not. But it's nice to see a storyline of this magnitude that could possibly turn the entire wrestling world on it's head.

Update

You know what else could work?

If CM Punk loses to John Cena and leaves the WWE he starts to do the rounds in ROH, CHIKARA, NJPW etc. and just rips WWE apart everytime and talks about how much the company sucks and how much better he is without them.

Then have Cena tell him he'll fight him on his terms wherever whenever. You know because Cena is tough like that.

They have a match and CM Punk wins via cheating somehow.

CM Punk is the most hated man in the WWE because he has shown disrespect to them all and yet what can they do? He's the WWE Champion?

Last edited:

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
way to bring everything down what that rumor lol...

now i'm sad again...its gonna be over in 2 weeks and done with

bleh

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't see the promo yet, but I'm going to watch it when I get home tonight. I heard it was fantastic so I'm really looking forward to it.

CM Punk is definitely frustrated at the WWE, and if you follow him on Twitter you can tell that he's angry for several reasons. Punk knows he's one of the best in the company right now, and he's mad at the company for not pushing him more and giving him a chance to be on top like Randy Orton and John Cena. I truly believe he's leaving, I hope it's not for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left for a year or so.

wooly

I am the woolrus
One of my first reactions to watching CM Punk's promo was "well it looks like he's staying with WWE then". I felt 99% sure that it was a "worked" shoot (a la Paul Heyman ripping on McMahon before Survivor Series) and i thought that there's no way WWE would let Punk shine like this if he was truly leaving the company. Letting someone go on a high isn't their style.

However then i read the report that Millz posted in the OP and i hope so much that it's true. If that truly was Punk going out on a limb, cutting a complete shoot promo and sticking two fingers up at WWE then.... i would quite possibly put it as the greatest promo of all time.

If there's anybody who would pull off a stunt like that, i think it would be CM Punk. He is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now, and he is THE best on the mic no question. The points he made during his speech are 100% true and hit home with a lot of people i think. The fact that The Rock is highlighting Wrestlemania while CM Punk doesn't even make the signature at the start of the show IS ridiculous.

However, this is all based on it being a real shoot, which i'm still skeptical about. Either way, everything is looking up for CM Punk. If it was a worked shoot, then i have a feeling he's in line for a big push in WWE (maybe after a hiatus). If it was a legit shoot, then i can't wait to see where he goes next. He's gained a lot of recognition in WWE and he's in a position of huge influence.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Jim Ross puts out a great blog on his website, J.R.'s Family Bar-B-Q . I knew that I had to check it, and he offers some good points and an interesting point of view on Punk's promo on Raw. I thought I'd post it below so that everybody can give it a read, respond to it, agree/disagree, etc.

Direct link to the entire blog: CM Punk..HBK Hunts..Nate Marquardt..NBA Lockout, Duh..WWEShop ships JR's Products Worldwide..Let's Fire Up Those Grills! | J.R.'s Family Bar-B-Q

CM Punk's show closing promo on MNR is still seemingly the talk of the wrestling biz. It was the best promo that I've heard on TV in years. Can't say it was the definitive 'best ever' but it ranks among the best that I can recall. Steve Austin, who cut some memorable promos in his day, was extremely impressed with Punk's work as were several other great promo men such as JBL and Mick Foley.

Normally when a talent is extremely passionate about a topic or an issue and speaks from their heart and not from a memorized document, the promo has a fighting chance at being stellar.

The first thing that must be in place for a promo to be great is that it must be natural ala from the heart and not from memory plus the talent must believe in what they are saying and not simply verbally filling time. Every promo must have a reason for taking place much akin to why most matches occur especially on PPV or in TV main events.

Talking on a wrestling show should be special, and that means all talk, and with the special meaning that all talk should have a purpose. Too much talk for talk's sake waters down the product, slows the process and disconnects with many viewers especially when it is obvious that the talents that are talking are not skilled and/or are simply reciting what they've memorized.

Punk says that he is leaving after the MITB Ladder Match PPV in Punk's hometown of Chicago in July. He also says he's leaving WWE with the WWE Title. Those two elements certainly should make for some compelling TV on Monday Night Raw. Whether Punk wins or doesn't win the WWE Title is a hill I choose not to die upon but Punk staying in WWE is something that I personally hope happens in some shape, form or fashion. punk has as much to say about that eventual decision as anyone and as we have seen if one can predict what Punk's going to do next then take those instincts to Vegas and make some big money.

Punk's promo was reminiscent of the Attitude Era but it was totally PG. PG can be edgy but it doesn't need to travel an uncreative, low road to be attitudinal or cool.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I knew that Stone Cold would like the promo, and I'm glad that people like Mick Foley who is one of the best promo guys in the business like the promo.

I thought it was amazing, and I know in a couple of years I'll watch it again and appreciate it more. Punk was given a free pass to say what he had on his mind and took advantage and painted a perfect picture.