• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Classical Music Thread

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The Songs That Calm You thread had a ton of Classical posts, so I thought why not give Classical its own thread

My absolute favorite composition is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. I saw it live one time and it was amazing. How can you not love Ode To Joy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoXQhShmXUE&feature=related

another favorite piece is the aria from The Marriage of Figaro. Fans of Shawshank should recognize this

YouTube - Lucia Popp & Gundula Janowitz : "Sull' aria"

Last edited:

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
"Songs That Calm You"? Not sure why classical always gets so associated with 'relaxing'.

Perhaps I'm listening to classical from some other universe? :lol:

Here's some of my favorite pieces divided by era because that will help me remember to get all of them :lol: (I don't expect anybody to actually click on all of the YouTube links, I just was really bored.):

Renaissance:
Spem In Alium - Thomas Tallis
Pretty much anything by Tallis is amazing, actually. My favorite is With All Our Heart but there is no YouTube video for it. O Sacrum Convivium is another great one.

Baroque:
Summer: Presto - Antonio Vivaldi (Although I love all of Summer)
Water Music: Andante - Handel (this particular recording actually drew me towards the bassoon.)
Oboe Concerto in D Minor: Adagio - Alessandro Marcello
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (Generic pick maybe, but still awesome)
Toccata and Fugue "Dorian" - Johann Sebastian Bach
Dido's Lament from Dido and Aeneas - Henry Purcell (Very poor sound quality for the video I know, but that is my favorite recording)

Classical:
Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major: Adagio - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Clarinet Concerto in A Major: Rondo - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Oboe Concerto in C Major: Andante Ma Non Troppo - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Romantic:
Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - Antonin Dvorak
Second Movement (part 2), Fourth Movement

Impressionist (probably my favorite at this moment. So fascinating to listen to):
La Cathédrale Engloutie - Claude Debussy
Reverie - Claude Debussy
Prélude À L'Après-Midi D'Un Faune, L 86 - Claude Debussy
Introduction and Allegro for Flute, Clarinet, Harp and String Quartet - Maurice Ravel
Le Tombeau De Couperin - Maurice Ravel

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
As of right now I'm consistently listening to the album Invincible by Two Steps from Hell. It's great quality music I really love it.

A friend got me hooked on it and now I can't stop.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
As of right now I'm consistently listening to the album Invincible by Two Steps from Hell. It's great quality music I really love it.
Did we just become best friends? Literally. That's one of my all-time favourite albums in the entire WORLD. This is odd too, because with what I was wearing in chat last name people said I looked just like you. Anyways, I love trailer music. It's epic.

I'm a fan of mostly music from the baroque era. I love classical music just as much as the next guy, but I'm more of a fan of Neo-classical and Medieval. Bands that throw a slightly more modern twist into the mix. Just to name a few,

Qntal, Mediæval Bæbes, and just about any artist you'll encounter on the Miroque compilations! 15 or so strong.

There is also a ton of lovely video game soundtracks. Most of which would probably be considered into trailer music, but there's plenty of games like the Stronghold franchise with excellent music. Strong on instruments like the mandolin.

Here's one of my all-time favourites though,

YouTube - Gould plays Beethoven Emperor Concerto

EDIT: I just fucking love soundtracks and when I when I am in a 'classical' mood I usually just listen them instead. There are a few pieces, like that Gould, that I go to Youtube for. Otherwise, I don't need movements, I need albums.

Last edited:

Falsesigh

Registered Member
When I was younger, my favorite was Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. But since I've heard Pachelbel's Canon it became my all time favorite.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I love a lot of pieces (my original avy is Canon in D music piece) and each time I try to write here I end up not finishing because I add and add and feel like I'm missing mentioning some stuff. So generally... Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi (I love listening to 4 seasons, Impact), Haydn, Bach, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Wagner, Offenbach (particularly Belle Nuit), Ravel, etc. So it seems there is always for each period of classical music except for the medieval era (which is my fave period for madrigal compositions).

Most of my exposure to classical music comes from my years of choral/classical singing, love for movies (anthems, soundtrack and bio movies of composers), and church music.

I also like listening to violins and piano more than other instruments.

ps. I agree with you about Ode to Joy (it's the European anthem too). It's very joyful as Hallelujah Chorus. It's hard to not be uplifted after listening to it.