• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The character of your town

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Do you live in a small town or a big city, or somewhere in-between? Full of intellectuals, rednecks, hillbillies, chavs? Is there a university there, or blue collar industry?

My home town, Ann Arbor, has a population of around 120,000. The University of Michigan is located there, so there is a high percentage of college graduates and advanced degrees. It used to be really progressive and appealed to the hippies in the late 1960s and early 1970s. John Lennon and Yoko Ono held the Free John Now (John Sinclair) rally here. Now it's a bit more Right politically but still full of neo-hippies.

The town where I'm currently living, just outside of Ann Arbor, is a very small farm town, full of old German families who are mostly farmers. There is no industry to speak of, just a few small shops and a tiny grocery store in town. If you want to do anything for entertainment or any serious shopping, you have to go to Ann Arbor, which is about 20 minutes away.

Ivan

Registered Member
I live in Rijeka, it's one of the biggest towns in Croatia.
It has a population of about 200 000. The University of Rijeka is located here. There is a medium percentage of college graduates and advanced degrees, but lately the percentage becomes higher.
Politically Rijeka is liberal town (Left).

Below is the picture of city centre:

Rijeka is placed along a coast of Kvarner Bay and it's an important harbour for Croatia. The shipbuilding is very important here, but lately the biggest shipbuilding firm is in bad financial situation.

Also, the famous Carneval is held here. It is one of the biggest carnivals in the world (along with one in Rio de Janeiro and Venice) and this is a tradition here. People from all over the world come in February when the big carnival procession is held on main city square.

Here are some Carnival video clips from youtube:

YouTube - Rije?ki karneval 2009. zvon?ari na korzu

YouTube - Halubajski zvon?ari na Pusni pundejak 2008. va Kastve

YouTube - Rukavac zvon?ari visit Mu?i?i

And here is one picture from part of the city where I live:

Also, there is a little town called Opatija near Rijeka, and Opatija is an important tourism centre. :)

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
My town is full of cheap busybody rednecks. They keep screwing the school of money (whose roof just collapsed due to lack of maintenance), because they don't feel nearly 1600 students are worth their money. Then they bud into whatever you are doing (as they did when my family moved in), then they gossip about it (as they did when my family moved in), and then make you go through a load of beaureucratic (sp?) bullshit (as the did when my family moved in). I hate my town, my family and I want to move out as soon as we can.

Dabs

Registered Member
The town I used to live in for the past many many years, was very small. Everybody knew everybody. It was so small, every single person knew my Dad. I knew all the folks at the post office and food stores and such so well, I could call them up and ask for favors and addresses and to put something back for me till I get there to pick it up. It was SMALL. But at the same time, full of hypocrites. A lot of folks go to church on Sunday, proclaiming to be such great Christians and putting down those that drink or smoke or whathaveyou, but yet, come Monday morning, most of those same folks would be the ones doing the drinking and smoking and partying. We had a scandal a few years back, where the wife of the school superintendent, was found having sex with a pastor, in the church!
But anyway, after I lost both my parents, the town was hard for me to live in. Everyone who would see me, would ask how I was doing since they passed. My Dad worked for the government (post office) and so going in there every day was a reminder. Seeing the places where my Mother frequented was hurting and quite frankly, I just needed to start anew. So I took my granddaughter and we moved to a much bigger city, and here, I don't know anybody. So, that's fine and I have no regrets moving. Also, in this town, I have several stores, shopping centers, entertainment places and many of everything, some places are open 24/7. It's been a pretty decent place to be at so far.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Do you live in a small town or a big city, or somewhere in-between? Full of intellectuals, rednecks, hillbillies, chavs? Is there a university there, or blue collar industry?

Big!!!!!!! San Diego. Besides huge military, we have tons of technology, biotech, tourism!, large and small business. Our education is amazing with SDSU, UCSD, USD, Cal State, Pt Loma, and ample community colleges. The number of rich people here is incredible willing to pay top dollar for a ritzy life style. Of course, the sun and scenary are very attractive and that gets pricey. Drawbacks are that people are competitive, materialistic, flaky, and the traffic is terrible. I came from Utah so it was with great protest that I adapt to it. Once my two kids were born I finally felt like it was home. In order to escape from personality types that bug me is that I keep a small very select group of friends. Also, most everyone has a little sub-community and often there isn't much venturing outside of it. I live 30 miles from downtown, on an eastern edge two blocks from leaving San Diego city. Besides going to the theatre or the beach or some shopping or visit family or bunco or interviews, I pretty much stick to my area.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Medium sized. We have around 20k, with tons of even smaller towns coming here for work.

Our education is not the greatest. We have it all though - Pre-school, adult education center, elementary, middle school, high school and a university all separate.

It's full of morons. Anyone not smart enough to move is pretty much one, myself included. Red Wing is a great location, right on the MI river/WI border but only come here if you got money. Pictures below:

That's the main body of it, with that bridge leading into Wisconsin. We like to regulate the flow of cheeseheads. And my street is to the far left of picture.

That's an opposite side shot, and a better look at bridge/MI river.

Red Wing is known for its footwear. 100+ years, I'm sure most of you are familiar with Red Wing Shoes. Use to work there myself.

We have a yearly arts festival held downtown where we close off the streets and lots of crafters and junk come and set up up shop. Art, jewelry, that sort of thing.

Red Wing is also known for its pottery. Below is the Pottery Mall.

Years and years ago they use to toss broken pots just beyond the railway into a giant pit. Some time back they cleaned most of that it's now a popular fishing hole for kids, called Pottery Lake. In the woods behind you will still see the thousands of broken pottery. Aside from the art's festival, there is a pottery festival dealy thing.

As far as people go, most are borderline ghetto and white trash (like myself). As far as the politics go, I'm not sure. I do know we have a lot of cocksucking bureaucrats. Like the ones that made me pay $150 to get my car back because they wanted remove snow from curbs. Even though I had moved my car, and the street was already cleared my car got towed anyways.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Medium sized. We have around 20k, with tons of even smaller towns coming here for work.

It's full of morons. Anyone not smart enough to move is pretty much one, myself included. Red Wing is a great location, right on the MI river/WI border but only come here if you got money.

As far as people go, most are borderline ghetto and white trash (like myself). As far as the politics go, I'm not sure. I do know we have a lot of cocksucking bureaucrats. Like the ones that made me pay $150 to get my car back because they wanted remove snow from curbs. Even though I had moved my car, and the street was already cleared my car got towed anyways.

Your town is full of morons and my old one was full of hypocrites. We are nice are we not? :lol: I haven't been able to figure out just yet what this new town for me is full of yet. I have lived here, will be 2 years come April, so I haven't had time to tell. But the economy here is good, I think anyway. Chattanooga, the next larger city close to me, is building a large new Volkswagen plant, and my son works there, and he is working 6 days a week, doing good I reckon.
But, I don't live IN Chattanooga, and I wouldn't want to. I know that town would be a nightmare.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
The town I grew up in has grown a lot since I was a kid. From about 36,000 to over 100,000. There is also several towns all around it that are about 40,000 each.

You can still see some of the old division from pre 1960's, the Mexican side of town to the south and everyone else on the north.

There is a lot of history still. My grandfather's old shop is still up, my mom's cousin runs a paint and body shop out of it and a wrecker service. And I sometime go eat breakfast in the same old 1950's style diner my grandfather used to go eat.

It still has somewhat of an small town feel. Even though it's grown so much I still can't walk into a Wal-Mart without running into someone who knows my mom and will ask me how she's doing.

We have three high schools now as opposed to one when I was a kid. There's a university in the next town, and there has been a lot of growth due to the maquiladoras in Mexico.

I love this town and can't ever see myself living somewhere else.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
My town is under 30K and full of rich assholes and snobby suburban soccer moms. It's a yuppie paradise made even more clear by the town's main strip which is made up of four coffee shops, fourteen banks (not kidding), and assorted jewelry and clothing shops. And they wonder with all these entertaining destinations why there's so much drug use amongst their over-privileged children.

:rolleyes:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
My town used to be small and now it has a population of 100,000 people. To me that is a lot. I live in The Woodlands, TX about 30 miles north of Houston, TX and boy my town has boomed. What was once a $1 movie theater is now a Cinamark, and down the block is another Cinemark. We now have the tallest building between Houston and Dallas, and there is alot of business buildings near the river. It has grown a lot. A lot of classy people including myself live there. Very nice place especially during the holidays and winter.

Not to mention Market St which is very nice at night. Decent bars there.

Last edited: