The Celebrity Host concept

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Millz, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I might get bitched at for this but I actually like this idea and I think it makes a ton of sense. I guess I look at it from the business perspective.

Celebrities garner ratings and maybe casual fans will tune in if they see or hear that Shaq is hosting or Seth Green is hosting. Granted I liked Milllion Dollar Man's appearance the best but you cannot help but understand their motives...its cheap publicity. WWE talks up Robot Chicken on RAW and Seth Green makes some people watch.

ZZ Top was terrible but Green wasnt that bad...in fact, I was shocked at how good it was. Green being an actual actor helped out a ton. I prefer former wrestling stars doing it but for the time being I'm okay with it. I dont love it but I understand why its happening.

2. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

It is a good business idea when done right. I didn't catch RAW but from what I hear ZZ Tops guest spot wasn't all that. It would be better if the guests were featured a little more, but not to the point when the whole show is about them.

I also think they should get more to compete in matches. As much as I hate to admit it, I actually enjoyed Seth Green wrestling.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Seems as if there is this line where on one side we have wrestling stars and on the other we have Hollywood stars. If you mix and match them they don't blend to well. That's my take on it.

I understand what you're saying, but if they ARE going to continue to do this, I suggest getting former WWE stars like The Rock, Stone Cold, Ricky The Steamboat and others. Having Hollywood mingle with pro-wrestlers just doesn't suit well with me.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I also think it's good for the business. Trust me I bet you next week the show will get great ratings with Shaq being the host, he's hilarious and I think he's going to do a great job. I think him and Big Show will have an encouter during the show which should be interesting and I hope it does happen. I am really looking forward to next weeks episode.

5. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I'm with Millz and Ruth...this is a big part of the WWE's storied success...mix it with pro sports and hollywood, and you get a broad mass-appeal. I've enjoyed the celebrity hosts so far.

6. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I despise this celebrity host concept. And to be honest, i'm not sure if it's the best long term business move ever.

It will get ratings, but possibly only temporary ones. People will tune in out of curiosity, "i wonder what it'll be like ZZ Top hosting RAW?" (like i did) but when they are almost insulted by the ridiculously awful quality of the shows (like i was) they might tune out for good! (like i am :p)

If WWE had any proper competition then this would be an awful move from every aspect, but seeing as they have no real competition, they probably won't lose too many viewers, and it'll make Vince a few extra bucks. There's no proper alternative out there so people will keep watching no matter how awful the shows are.

The only good one so far has been the Million Dollar Man. I switched off the Seth Green episode because i thought it was laughably bad, and i think i only kept watching the ZZ Top episode because it was like the 'car crash effect'. When it's so bad you just can't help but keep watching even though you can almost hear your brain cells screaming "change the goddamn channel! We're dying here!!!"

Can't wait to see the ratings plummet for the August 3rd episode though. The guest host is, Jeremy Piven....? Maybe he's a star in America but i have absolutely NO idea who he is.

7. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

All ZZ Top did was stand there shaking their guitars at background music.

8. Millz

Jeremy Piven is the MAN...

[​IMG]

He's hilarious...very interested in seeing who the host will be on August 17th when I'll be at RAW live in St Louis.

The thing is Wooly is that I think its only meant to be temporary...they want to see if it'll garner ratings and if it doesnt then theyll just switch it back. For now I think it makes sense.

9. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Think Pivin will be in his Entourage character? Probably? No? Yeah, probably not... :eek:

I think the only celebrity that I would enjoy would be K-Fed. He was entertaining, he was really involved with the show last time and he really does like pro-wrestling. The rest of these people seem to be there just to promote their new show or sell something. >.<;

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  10. Millz

Well that is the trade-off...

What other reason would they have to be on the show then? Just for money? A guy like Shaq I guess is just doing it for fun.

When's TO gonna be on there? He's got a reality show going on haha

And I'm actually with ya on the K-Fed thing...he was surprisingly not bad.