The Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Short and sweet question. Once again please behave appropriately in this topic, we all know how heated these type of topics can get.

On balance is the catholic church a positive or negative force in the world?

2. konboye

konboye Registered Member

The catholic church is just like an incredibly uncontrolled and badly managed force, my opinion. They could be and do a lot more, but since its being run by a bunch on old, tired minds, its been exploited. Exploited by its members, priest, almost everybody or organization thats associated with it. If anybody has read In God's Name by David Yallop, you will know what the catholic church really is. Its a mess, my sister told me a priest asked her out and even though she said no, he kept calling her. If they could remove the celibacy clause for priest, that would be progressive.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

See this is one thing that drives me nuts, It boils down to perspective.....

My mom is "catholic" she says but I told her my reasons I do not have on bit of respect for the pope. She said she does not like the pope either.....

My thing is...

In Catholicism isn't the pope kinda the word of God?

4. konboye

konboye Registered Member

The pope is the catholic church's show-them-we-are-old-thoughtful-and-holy personality. Obviously, they need an image consultant to fix their broken image and some sprucing, lol

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I think the Catholic church fails at making a good job of representing Christ on earth, so judging by their own standards, they fail. But if you consider them a worldly organization like there are others, they may be flawed, but not that bad after all. They are ridden by all the illnesses that affect many old worldly organizations, like corruption, authoritarian bribary, abuse of power and these things ... but they also do quite a few good things.

What's bad about that is that you can't just criticize them, as you'd criticize any other kind of worldly charity organization, fanclub, advocacy group or think tank. But they should be held to the same yardstick.

6. Ilus_Unistus

Ilus_Unistus Registered Member

I think the Catholic Church sends a negative influence to the world with so many of its own Priests committing unspeakable sexual and other crimes. It is my understanding the Catholic Church has some of the highest standards in religion, yet many who dictated and preached these standards think they are above them or they do not apply to them. I think this is how many outside the Catholic Church view it.

Sim likes this.
  7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

The Catholic Church along with Catholic groups such as the Knights of Columbus have done so much more in charity and giving than so many other groups and even countries yet what people associate the Church with is some priests who've done bad things. Maybe it's a PR problem but overall the Church has done far more good than bad and has made a huge difference to many poor and oppressed in the world.

8. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Agreed. People often ignore that, because of the horrible revelations in recent times, or because of historical failures of the Catholic church. But it's true that the Catholic church indeed does many great things to help poor or oppessed people, much like other charity organizations.

But that's my view as non-Catholic: What I cannot and will not subscribe to is the claim that they have any more moral authority than other organizations, and because many people believe just that, it is very hard to give a fair judgement of the Catholic church. Their deeds in past and present have shown they don't deserve a higher moral yardstick than worldly organisations, because they committed the same mistakes and are ridden by the same problems. They are just as fallible as other organizations run by fallible human beings.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I feel that the Church was a more negative force in the past especially in the Spanish colonial period when the Church "married" politics. The religion was forced on some colonies or used as a tool to make political abuses acceptable. These political influences have decreased, if not abolished, since the decline of the Spanish empire. Still, the Church has to face possible responsibility for its possible role on crimes against humanity made in WW2 or Rwanda, for example.

At present, pedophilia controversy faces the Church because of some priests involved. While they are supposed to be models of the Church, I don't think these were done nor justified in the name of the Church. It's more a Church flaw in its membership/leaders than a Church promotion of the acts. Again these are cases but as a whole, I tend to agree with CO and Sim that the Church does make positive contributions especially in its role in charity works. I wish though that it would also be more progressive to address emerging issues in today's society (ex: use of condoms for health reasons) that face their congregation.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Any positives they've had in the past are drowned out by all the controversay they've had. I mean, relocating pedophiles and hiding them is a big enough crime already but there's been too much done on their behalf. If I was a Christian, I'd keep myself separated from them to be honest.