Movies The case against watching a movie in theatres

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by ysabel, May 25, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

In the past years, I rarely go to see movies in the theatres. I go maybe once or twice a year (I used to do it 52x more). My reasons:

The price. It has just gotten more expensive to do it. If you include the movie food (during or after) plus the ticket price, it's almost equivalent to the price I will pay when the DVD comes out, and I can watch that as much as I want.

Home theater technologies. Bigger tv screens, bigger sound system at home. You can watch it whenever you want. It's not such a bad alternative...

Comfort. The movie theatre chairs aren't really comfortable and they can be confined. I like watching from my couch or my bed. And something about having to share an armrest with a stranger...Yesterday, someone sat beside me and she didn't smell that good. I would have switched to another chair but I liked the angle of the screen where I was. The other places with the same angle were already taken.

The Distraction. Ok, I can get distracted at home too but at least I can pause and rewind. I don't like it when people around me talk while the movie is going on. Or they kick or move their chairs, causing your seat to vibrate. Another thing I don't like, which I experienced yesterday is when people laugh at scenes that are supposed to be intense and not funny. It breaks the ambiance.

Anyway, I have to admit that if I'm really a big fan of the movie. I'll still be one of the people lining up on the first day to see it in the theatres. :lol:

2. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I love going to cinema, I try to go atleast once a week aslong as theres enough good looking films out to permit it. I enjoy the social aspect of sharing a film for the first time with all those people. However the one thing I cannot abide is talkers, I cant hack it in the cinema and I certainly can't hack it if I'm watching a dvd with someone. For me there should be an 11th commandment; Thou shalt not talk over key plot points and then ask what's going on 5 minutes later. Punishable by death.

3. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I'm quite the opposite, I LOVE watching movies in cinemas. I don't know why, but I think it's because I don't have access to a home cinema system, so the sound quality is magical to me. I go into a cinema screen and it's like I'm a little kid again.

I enjoy watching the trailers before the movies, which some may find strange. I don't know why, but I think the way they're put together to entice people is incredible. If I'm ever late and I miss the trailers, I'm slightly disappointed.

I do agree with the people talking and fidgeting though, and people getting up to go to the bathroom. Those can be quite annoying. But they are a small price to pay (unlike the ticket prices!) to enjoy the majesty of the latest blockbuster in cinematic quality. I have yet to expirience IMAX, but I'm told it's the best cinema experience so I'm looking forward to that.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  4. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

wow, you really must have bad experiences with Theaters =p

Luckly for me, the theaters where i live are very confortable and big, people tend to be silent and its fairly inexpensive. The ticket price is 5.50, and usually we have promotions where they offer a free ticket for the next time we come watch a movie.

If you have in mind the money most people spend on tobacco, Drinks while going out, along with other acomodations, 5.50 is a bargain ^^

While if i was to watch movies at home, i would at least have to spend a couple of thousands worth equipment to make it work, plus i would have to have a button to shut off my family and my suroundings because i cannot stand being interrupted or watch a movie in 2 halfs.

Btw, was this thread a Q? haha

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

There are movies when people bring young kids and the kids get noisy and ask their parents what's happening.... :stare:

Ah, yeah. One thing I liked about watching a movie yesterday was seeing the trailers. They have several good movies coming out soon, especially the selections of the Cannes Festival. I barely pay attention when they're shown on the telly, so this was refreshing to see.

I paid 10 euros! That's just the movie. Then I took a 6.40€ meal (which is a normal sized popcorn and a bottle of iced tea) --- and this is even the promotional combo prize. Then the cost of transport, haha....

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I love watching movies at the theaters as well, it's 10$ for a ticket, which isn't all that bad, I rarely buy food there, so that doesnt really matter.

People dont talk when I am in the theater and the chairs are extremely comfortable.

But I only go see movies that I really want to see in the theater.

7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I hate going to the theater with the reasons you provided and for the fact that I'm always dead tired once the show is over and all I want to do is just relax and go to bed. Sitting there puts my body to sleep.

8. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I have been to the cinamas a total of 5 times and enjoyed every moment of it. Usually to see a film I'm interested in. Things like expensive tickets and snacks can set me back nearly 70 rands, so a special occasion will do. I hate watching home movies with others. Pointing, commenting and laughing about scenes I disagree with, turns me off.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My 3 main reasons for not going to the cinema are: Price, Company, and Just Generally Prefer to Watch DVDs at Home. :)lol:)

Like you, I think it's way too over-priced (oo that sentence could be taken in 2 ways) and it's not worth it, especially with the extras on top like food and drink. I don't like paying so much to go see something I'm not sure I'll even enjoy.

Company is because I wouldn't go on my own (I mean, I wouldn't mind, but rather just stay home) and my friends don't really like the same movies as me. Last time I was dragged to the cinema it was to see that Shopaholic film.

I much prefer to watch films at home because it's more flexible and I only really watch older films that have been recommended or I've read about first. And I can watch it as many times as I like at home.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd argue that both technology and distractions are worse at home than in the theaters. Those two alone are enough for me to see one in theaters.