• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Butcher Bird

Wade8813

Registered Member
So, apparently this cute little bird

is one of many types of birds known as the Shrike, which is derived from the Latin word for butcher.

From Wikipedia

Shrikes are known for their habit of catching insects and small vertebrates and impaling their bodies on thorns. This helps them to tear the flesh into smaller, more conveniently-sized fragments, and serves as a cache so that the shrike can return to the uneaten portions at a later time.[2] This same behavior of impaling insects serves as an adaptation to eating the toxic lubber grasshopper (Romalea guttata). The bird waits for 1–2 days for the toxins within the grasshopper to degrade, and then can eat it.
Here's a pic of a lizard that a shrike impaled

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
never heard of them, but that's pretty neat. I can half imagine that cute little bird shoving insects on a branch, but impaling a full sized lizard?! brutal birdies.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
That's pretty cool, it's strange to see how different animals hunt and capture their food like that...really creative stuff for such a tiny bird, but then again birds are really intelligent.

You should move this to the science section, it needs more love anyway haha!

Bliss

Sally Twit
Big things come in small packages. The bird does look a bit nasty. Just look at the eye. If looks could kill, eh?

I am impressed by the picture you posted of the lizard. Would have been interesting to see it happen.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Ohhh, that's what a loggerhead shrike is. I've seen them and I had heard the name, but never put the two together until now. Interesting!