• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss The broken US educational system

dDave

V.I.P.
We all know the education is broken and needs a lot of work. Stuff like this makes me ask what is actually being taught in schools these days.

WATCH: This video proves just how broken our education system is – Glenn Beck

I find that every time I watch videos like this where they'll go out to ask historical questions that I know the answers without even applying any thought to it. To think that other people my age are stupid enough to not know that George Washington was the first president, unreal. I could have answered these questions with 100% accuracy coming out of 4th grade let alone high school or college graduation.

I also can't believe that people don't know what Memorial Day is about. That's like not knowing why we as America celebrate the 4th of July.

In a way I think this shows just how self consumed much of my generation is. It saddens me to think that they take their freedom for granted like this. Have they no respect for the 1.2 MILLION Americans that died to protect that?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree the education system is a mess but I don't believe its why people voted for Obama. If that's true you could say the same thing about people that voted for Bush or anyone else.

I think the person that wrote this article should go back to school and learn how to proofread.

We don’t everybody know our own history.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
They're talking about the youth vote. The youth came out and supported Obama, they didn't come out and support Bush. Nevertheless that's one guy's opinion.

I agree our educational system is broken. I remember watching an interview with Tom Hanks and he was talking about his production of the John Adams HBO miniseries. He was talking about reading David McCullough's book "John Adams" which inspired him to make the series, and he said something about being surprised to read about Adams representing the British soldiers in the trial of the Boston Massacre. My reaction was "How did you not know that? Where did you go to high school?" It was pointed out to me not everybody is a history geek like I am and to be fair I've read a lot on my own and much of what I know about history I learned on my own and not from school. What strikes me now is how uninformed and how reluctant not just our youth but our society in general is, and how they are ok with that. It saddens me more people don't take the time to educate themselves and have no intellectual curiosity whatsoever. That to me is the cause of why we are in such a mess.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
One major problem with the education system is the federal dept of education (which is unconstitutional by the way).

Whenever I see videos like this I always have to wonder how many people got the right answers that they had to cut out.

I honestly believe the main problem with our education system is it is largely controlled by a centralized government. Another huge problem is the teachers unions and that it is hard to get rid of a teacher once they have tenure. We have also dumbed down the requirements to make ourselves look "proficient" on standardized tests.

Education would be better if it was controlled by local levels of government.

We're also turning into a society where people are afraid to tell children that there is such a thing as winning and losing. Getting a correct answer vs getting a wrong answer. Why try if there is no reason to? This plagues everything from sports to academics.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
We all know the education is broken and needs a lot of work. Stuff like this makes me ask what is actually being taught in schools these days.

I find that every time I watch videos like this where they'll go out to ask historical questions that I know the answers without even applying any thought to it. To think that other people my age are stupid enough to not know that George Washington was the first president, unreal. I could have answered these questions with 100% accuracy coming out of 4th grade let alone high school or college graduation.

I also can't believe that people don't know what Memorial Day is about. That's like not knowing why we as America celebrate the 4th of July.
This is what I find so interesting about Americans. Granted, I can't watch the video right now, because I am at work, but I get the gist of what's going on here. You think your education system is broken because people don't know the type of things you just mentioned. That might be a guide, but wow, that's so American.

Don't get me wrong here, I mean no offense. But honestly, other than knowing your countries history, what does the knowledge of these things get you? It's not science, it's not technology, it's just history, and country specific history at that.

On the one hand, it's a characteristic I love about Americans, being as patriotic as you are. I admire that sometimes. On the other hand, it's why the world thinks you're ignorant. It's more important to know things about your country than global/world knowledge.

Not to make myself look bad here, but other than Mandela, I have zero clue of who was president when in SA. At best, I could probably name 3 presidents before my teenage years. I don't remember important dates like our wars (Anglo-Boer War for instance). I forget the details about "Youth Day" (some or other shoot out somewhere - really, just another day in a tumultuous country). Surprisingly, I took history till my senior year and aced it in my final exams. All that said, I might actually know more general history things about America than some Americans, and I at least know general world history stuff till this day.

I guess I am just surprised to see what your education levels are measured by. Maybe this explains why some (not all or anyone specifically) Americans have so little knowledge of anything outside your own country.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is what I find so interesting about Americans. Granted, I can't watch the video right now, because I am at work, but I get the gist of what's going on here. You think your education system is broken because people don't know the type of things you just mentioned. That might be a guide, but wow, that's so American.

Don't get me wrong here, I mean no offense. But honestly, other than knowing your countries history, what does the knowledge of these things get you? It's not science, it's not technology, it's just history, and country specific history at that.

On the one hand, it's a characteristic I love about Americans, being as patriotic as you are. I admire that sometimes. On the other hand, it's why the world thinks you're ignorant. It's more important to know things about your country than global/world knowledge.

Not to make myself look bad here, but other than Mandela, I have zero clue of who was president when in SA. At best, I could probably name 3 presidents before my teenage years. I don't remember important dates like our wars (Anglo-Boer War for instance). I forget the details about "Youth Day" (some or other shoot out somewhere - really, just another day in a tumultuous country). Surprisingly, I took history till my senior year and aced it in my final exams. All that said, I might actually know more general history things about America than some Americans, and I at least know general world history stuff till this day.

I guess I am just surprised to see what your education levels are measured by. Maybe this explains why some (not all or anyone specifically) Americans have so little knowledge of anything outside your own country.

Well for one thing we only have 80 years on the Earth and knowing history saves a lot of time. Rather than spending a lifetime trying to figure out something, you can study how it was done in the past. I'm going to lead like Washington. I'm going to innovate like Edison. I'm going to entertain like Twain. I'm going change things like Martin Luther King Jr.
Without understanding history, you could for example, have a great company but spend a lifetime gathering the leadership skills needed to manage it.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Well for one thing we only have 80 years on the Earth and knowing history saves a lot of time. Rather than spending a lifetime trying to figure out something, you can study how it was done in the past. I'm going to lead like Washington. I'm going to innovate like Edison. I'm going to entertain like Twain. I'm going change things like Martin Luther King Jr.
Without understanding history, you could for example, have a great company but spend a lifetime gathering the leadership skills needed to manage it.
That's a really good point you raise. And I am not short selling the importance of knowing your history. It's just not the only or even best way to measure intelligence or level of education, imo. Especially if it is so specific to one country. Expand that knowledge to world leaders, and even leaders in their fields like science, and I would be impressed. :nod:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
That's a really good point you raise. And I am not short selling the importance of knowing your history. It's just not the only or even best way to measure intelligence or level of education, imo. Especially if it is so specific to one country. Expand that knowledge to world leaders, and even leaders in their fields like science, and I would be impressed. :nod:
It probably is somewhat unique to America. Some of it is our Judeu-Christian principles which places a strong emphasis on learning and learning from history.

dDave

V.I.P.
I totally agree with some of the recent points made about the importance of learning history.

A lot of history I know is stuff that I don't even learn on purpose. I just pick up on it because I think it's cool.

In my view I think it's sort of disrespectful to not know really basic history. I mean no offense to anyone but I honestly think you're stupid if you don't know that George Washington is the first president (assuming you were born and raised in America), it's unacceptable not to know that. I knew that before we covered addition and subtraction in school.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Honestly, I think the expectation of children and thus, adults, to ingest and regurgitate facts on command is part of our problem. Me personally, I never learned effectively when teachers used this method. I never found myself absorbing information. I think as with myself, a lot kids learn the best when they're engaged, not just being taught to parrot information.

How old is the joke of forgetting EVERYTHING you learned last year from an elementary level to a collegiate one? I've heard is ever since I can remember.

America, in my mind, pays its teachers far too little, places far too low a value on education, and in turn worries far too much with standardized testing. Someone not knowing the details of the Civil War to me is not as much of a concern as someone who cannot read or write coherently. As someone who spends the entire day on the phone, I can tell you that we have some of the worst spoken people. Having a degree in English and communcations has gotten me just about nothing except for a keen ear for the subject. I can't tell you how instantaneously I lose respect for someone when they cannot speak a simple sentence.

We encourage a strict rigidity with teaching. There seems to be basically zero room for creativity in the classroom and teachers are set to meet certain guidelines that usually hurt more than harm. Kids get left behind who are too smart or are years ahead in development because we don't want to 'hurt' anyone's feelings.

The American education system needs well-qualified, well-paid teachers with schools that have strong enough budgets to keep them up to date with textbooks, supplies, and any tools they need to raise bright, inquisitive, curious, and quick-witted Americans and not mindless, conformist drones.

Unfortunately, the later are easier to produce and make it easy to beat them into submission with predatory school loans that will bury them for the remainder of their lives.