• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The books that you would recommend anyone to read

Dali

Registered Member
I read all the time and most of the books I have read are those that other people have told me I just have to read! So I thought I would make this thread on the books that you think everyone has to read and the reasons why you think they should read what you recommend. I thought it would be fun as people has so many different opinions on one book and it's great to share. :)

The book that I recommend everyone should read is Steve and Me by Terri Irwin. The reason being is because even if you never had an interest in Steve or wildlife this book wont fail to move you. The strength and love they both had for each other is beautiful and the book isn't morbid in anyway. The book really shows you how wonderful of person Steve was, the world really lost a great man! Also Terri Irwin is a remarkable woman and she (I feel) is a women that we should look up to.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
My Book would be Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.... He is my favorite author, and this book is so funny and a very easy read. He really has a way of making you understand what he went through in his life, but it is all so funny. He also makes me wish I had the type of adventures in my life that he mistakenly got into.

Impact

V.I.P.
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. It was one recommended to me by a friend and I couldn't put it down once i'd started reading it. It's funny as hell as well as slightly gross and deals with a teenager growing up without a responsible parent, and everything in between. What makes it even better is it is about the authors own childhood.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Catch-22 by Joesph Heller. Amazing book.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think there's such a book that everyone will like, but the one book I will recommend to everyone is Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

It's a true story about a guy who, right after graduating from college, leaves all of his possessions behind, donates all of his money (over $25,000) to charity, and disappears. His body is eventually found in the Alaskan wild (not a spoiler, it mentions this on the front cover). The book retraces his steps and fills in the blanks from the time he disappeared to when his body was found.

I love this book not only because I share the same views and passions as the guy and I can relate to him, but it also makes me appreciate life so much more and motivates me to follow my dreams the same way he did.

Corona

Registered Member
Island, by Aldous Huxley. This is a little like Utopia, but focuses more on the upbrining of the children and how it affects the adult. Siddhartha, by that German guy. Forgot his name. He did Under the Wheel and Steppenwolf too though. I can't really describe it as any other thing but a wise book. Full of lessons and mind candy. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. The book that spawned the tv show. A delicious look into the mind of a lovable serial killer. Fiction as it should be.

There are plenty of others but these popped into my head.

Dali

Registered Member
I am going to have to read all of the books that you have all mentioned the book "Into the wild" sounds brilliant, I am going to have to order that from amazon.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The Tender Bar by Jay Moehringer. It's non-fiction - a memoir - and one of the best, most engrossing books I've ever read.

Chateau-Margaux

Don Quichotte by Cervantés of course. This book is the first novel of the history. You can make fun of Don Quichotte, you can think... Or just follow the heroe... It's modern and amazingly brillant.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz Reading 9
Mirage Reading 3
Impaired Reading 1
AmericanMusic Reading 5
MissMe Reading 7