The Blues official thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeanie, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

if rap/hip hop gets its own thread, the blues deserves one.

Does anyone have Sirius satellite radio? BB King's Bluesville (Sirius 74) is awesome. Every once in a while they'll play multiple covers of a song. Most recently it was Smokestack Lightnin. I really liked the Yardbirds' version, but my favorite will probably always be Howlin Wolf's

YouTube - Runco's Weekly Music - Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin'

Jeru, Puck and Danno like this.

2. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

I use to listen to the Watercolors station on XM. That kind of smooth jazz, I can listen to. I can't do straight up blues. I'm a folk guy mostly.

I can listen to alternative blues stuff, like modern singer-songwriters. Mostly the female lounge type singers. Namely Katie Melua, Nick Cave, and Melody Gardot.

3. Puck

Puck Registered Member

A really good family friend is friends with BB King, so I've met him a few times.
    I'm definitely a fan.

Muddy Waters.
    Billie Holiday. <3
    Nick Cave.

My Dad and I sometimes consider Eric Clapton blues-y.

Jeanie likes this.
  4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Unfortunately I've never given the Blues a chance. I've heard a few songs here and there that I enjoyed, but I never expanded my search when it comes to the Blues.

If anyone could help me get started by posting a few songs that they enjoy it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Jeanie

6. Puck

Puck Registered Member

7. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

I love John William Coultrane's Soultrane record. He was actually the reason I chose to play the saxophone in high school. Simply, a brilliant composer. My favorite has to be "You Say You Care" Again, I'd love to put the video up, but I'm in class :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. Jeanie

9. Eraserhead

Eraserhead Registered Member

I was listening to my Robert Johnson album today. Every song he wrote is brilliant!

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    MAgnum9987 likes this.