The Blue Blazer gimmick

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Millz, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I understand this is a hard convo/discussion to have because Owen Hart died performing a stunt as the Blue Blazer but I wanted to discuss the gimimick anyways.

I think the gimmick gave Owen Hart a chance to be goofy again for the first time after the Montreal Screwjob. The serious stuff was okay, but he wasn't as entertaining during the "blackheart" days. At the time, it's exactly the direction that Owen's character needed to go. He had been screwed by Vince and abandoned by his family. He needed to stop with the Slammy gimmick. It may have even helped him, in the long run. He'd have had a character that had developed a serious side.

I think the gimmick was originally a good idea. It was good for Owen to initially come to WWF as the Blue Blazer. Bret wasn't enough of a name at that time. The Hart legacy was little more than a passing mention of the Dungeon by Jesse Ventura. No fans in the WWF territory knew or cared that Bret came from a big family of Canadian wrestlers. Owen couldn't ride his name to success. The hood and cape allowed him to just fly on his own.

Thoughts on the Blue Blazer gimmick?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I choked up a bit when I read the thread title.

Anyway, I agree with some of your points, but personally I didn't like the gimmick at all. I know that Owen loved to joke around so he probably loved portraying the Blue Blazer but I think it sort of ruined his legacy so to speak. It didn't give him a real chance to shine in the ring, like he did in the past.

Personally I believe that Owen was better suited as a heel, the whole I'm not a nugget gimmick was great.

But maybe deep down I didn't like the gimmick because he died because of it.

3. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

The bolded part...

I wouldn't blame you in the slighest way. I tried to put myself back in that time frame and I Remember thinking it was hilarious. And it wasn't like he wasn't still having matches and what not. He was due to win the IC title the night he passed away.

I do think the gimmick would have kept him away from the world title though...so eventually he'd just have to be himself.

4. Kratzenkov16

Kratzenkov16 Registered Member

owen pulled off the gimmick fine but it was a little clowny for my tastes and a little lame...

but i didnt hate it either

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I wasn't a fan of the gimmick or Hart, but it was sad when he died. I still have the Owen Hart Raw Special taped on a VHS somewhere.