The Bipolar Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EndWinterRomance, Jul 31, 2008.

1. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

So I didn't realize until the medicane thread that so many people are bipolar here. I am Bipolar too and usually can't talk about it because there is such a stigma associated with the "disease."

I was wondering what people's bipolar stories are:
    How well do you handle it?
    Do you take medication and if you dont why did you stop?
    When did you find out about having it?
    and anything else you can think to share.....

I'll post my responses aftera couple of other people do

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I have Bipolar II (for the uninitiated, it means rather than having manic episodes, I have hypomanic episodes free from psychosis), and it has been evident for at least six or seven years.

I was prescribed trileptol shortly before entering high school, and it's worked well for me. I still have obvious mood swings that I shouldn't be having, but it's nowhere near as bad as it previously was.

3. ComicFitz

ComicFitz Registered Member

It's amazing how many people are Bipolar or have ADD now a days. It seems that everyone I meet is told they are one or the other

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That's the only thing that bothers me, that so many people are diagnosed with these mental instabilities. I'm not doubting they're existence, it's just scary to know that a lot of people may be diagnosed wrongfully.

5. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

I'm acctually really really good at managing bipolar without medication.... I was diagnosed in 8th grade and of course my parents tried to put me on medication (welbuetron?) but younger than 18 the medication generally does more harm than good. I have gotten to the point in my life where only one person seems to set off the bipolar and he is also the only person that doesn't help me to stop a fit. I have learned to recognize when i'm going off the deep end and when it happens if i go off by myself for a bit i can calm down... that doesn't happen with him but anyway back on subject.

most of my really good friends know about me being bipolar and they know how to deal with it/me. it is nice because i feel like i can help them to understand what it is really about. most people think of someone being insanely nurotic and just plain violently crazy, but they dont realize how common it is and how many different kinds there are. My bipolar is genetic (yes it comes that way) and while sometimes i may seem violent, thats not the bipolar, thats the stupidity surrounding me in the form of people.

oh and comic ADD and bipolar are not super super super common like you think. they are the two most commonly misdiagnosed "diseases" around. generally parents nowadays want to blame their childrens misbehaving on something and these two are easy to do that with. also bipolar has more recently been advertised for (commercials for medication) and the more people hear about it the more people think they have it without actually having it.

6. ComicFitz

ComicFitz Registered Member

[sarcasm]Yeah, I don't know why doctors diagnose so many people with these diseases, it's not like there's any money in it[/sarcasm]

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

It's much more exclusive to ADD and ADHD, because those symptoms are much closer to natural behavior. Bipolar behavior is very, very distinct. Misdiagnosis rates for ADHD are projected to be as high as 70%, I doubt it's even close to that for Bipolar I. If you've ever met someone who was in a manic phase, you'd never forget it

The scary thing is that we have kids taking Ritalin that don't need it, while if a non-bipolar individual was taking my medication it wouldn't be that bad, since bipolar II medication isn't really that aggressive as Ritalin is.
    =