Movies The biggest movie star of the past 25 years?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Who would you pick as the biggest movie star of the past 25 years?

Please explain your answer, and your favorite movies from that movie star, it could be an actor or an actress.

Thoughts?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The biggest; Tom Hanks

He is one of best leads alive and makes the movies his, he takes on a role with incredible depth of character. With Tom Hanks it is easy to name a lot of blockbuster smashes. Toy Story, Forest Gump, Philadelphia, Big, Sleepless in Seattle, Green Mile, Cast Away, Apollo 13, Splash and my favourite movie he stars in, Saving Private Ryan.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

For females, I think it would be Julia Roberts. Granted she has not really been active since she gave birth, her movies in the past 25 years were often big hits and she's even one of the top paid actresses (at one point, even the top paid for a single movie).

My favorite movies she made include: Mona Lisa Smile, The Mexican, Erin Brokovich, Runaway Bride, Notting Hill, Stepmom, Conspiracy Theory, My Best Friend's Wedding, Pelican Brief, Dying Young, Sleeping with the Enemy, Flatliners and of course, Pretty Woman.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

According to a Forbes article, Will Smith was number one at the time the article was written.

Others on the list included Johnny Depp and Leo DiCaprio.

5. Babe_Ruth

There's a few movie stars that you can mention. I think Harrison Ford is one of them, I agree with Bananas when he mentioned Tom Hanks. I think DiCaprio as made some pretty big movies in the last 25 years. So I believe it's hard to choose one. But the ones that I mentioned belong on the top.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Tom Cruise. I certainly don't think he's the best actor of the past 25 years, and he hasn't been in the best movies either. But the question is biggest movie star, and he's definitely one of the most popular and well-known actors of our time.

7. Babe_Ruth

I cant believe I forgot Tom Cruise. A lot of people dislike him right now because of his new religion and they believe he's crazy, but I agree with you Echoes he does belong on this list. I personally loved his movies, like Top Gun, Rainman, Days of Thunder, Cocktail, Born on the fourth of July, All the Right Moves, Risky Business, A Few Good Men, Collateral, Jerry Maguire. The list goes on.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I agree with Tom Cruise as one of the biggest stars. DiCaprio is big but compared to the others named here, his career is young (maybe 15 years as a "star").

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I did think of Tom Cruise, but I dont like him so I chose not to mention him.:shake:

Samuel L Jackson, Al Pacino and Brad Pitt would also be near the top of the list. Robert de Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Clint Eastwood have still been dishing them out in the last 25 years....and of course Jack Nicholson....oh and Morgan Freeman. Damn there are so many great actors (...but not Tom Cruise).

Female it is harder to judge; as already mentioned Julia Roberts, you could add Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Drew Barrymore, Meryl Streep. It is a tough one.

10. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Tom Hanks is the one that springs to mind, most of his roles are very in depth and he pull off a variety of roles from thrillers to kids films.
    Some of my favorite films of his are The money pit, Road to perdition, cast away,The Terminal,Saving Private Ryan,Philadelphia and the ever classic Big.

I think that Mel Gibson deserves a mention as well,he may not be everybody's choice but he has made some great films,Ransom, Conspiracy Theory, Lethal Weapon, The Man Without a Face and What Women Want and all very good.

As for the top female I can think of three that I cant decide what order they should be in,Julie Roberts, Jodi Foster and Meryl Streep are all extremely good in the roles they have done.