• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Bible Survives Explosion!

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
This explosion may seem like a terrorist attack. This was at least my first thought.
Turns out that nobody has the answer. The amazing part is the Bible had survived.
I have heard of these things on a number of occasions where a Bible or a cross has been spared by disaster.
I do believe these are signs from God. He wants us to know that he is real and that he is here for us that we should call on him.
Read this story for more...

NEW YORK (AP) — Emergency workers sifted through debris Saturday from the site of a deadly explosion at two New York City apartment buildings as they worked to reach the basement levels, clearing the way for investigators to search for clues that might reveal what caused the blast.
Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't see how this is a miracle or a sign from God or anything like that. For all we know there could have been a lot of items that survived the explosion. The article doesn't say that the Bible was the only thing that survived. And it's a church, man. There are a lot of Bibles in a church. Is it that big of a surprise when one is found intact? If you blow up a toy store and then you find a toy in the rubble, is that a miracle? No.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with Major if it was a church there was probably a lot of bibles in there so its no wonder one survived and I don't see it as a sign from God. However if people find comfort in that I have no problem with it.

I would have rather the people that were killed survived, that would of been a true miracle.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've mentioned in another thread recently that when people are looking for the devil under every rock, they will find him. The opposite is also true. Sorry, but I'm with Major on this one. I don't see how it's a miracle finding a partially undamaged, except for water damage bible in a church after an explosion. I believe miracles do happen, but this isn't one.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
As I believe I think I said earlier this Bible was not the first incidence I heard about.
Remember the one that posted about the cross that survived in the WTC?But a lot of people don't realize that for some amazing reasons some people didn't show up for work that day 9-11-01.

One woman said something was wrong with her clock. Another person had something about going back home to change shoes. One of the planes was actually on the way to California so LA could have been destroyed instead of New York.
I was living in southern California at this time which is close to LA.

Now here is a clipping showing that people survived a direct hit while in a church in a tornado..
Case in point: during the Mannford, Oklahoma EF-4 tornado of 1984, a packed church received a direct hit, and everyone in the church survived.
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : A Night of Tornado Chaos in Oklahoma City: 9 Killed, 71 Injured | Weather Underground

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
As I believe I think I said earlier this Bible was not the first incidence I heard about.
Remember the one that posted about the cross that survived in the WTC?
The steel supports for the World Trade Center were constructed in cross patterns. Look at pictures of the rubble and you'll see crosses everywhere.

But a lot of people don't realize that for some amazing reasons some people didn't show up for work that day 9-11-01.

One woman said something was wrong with her clock. Another person had something about going back home to change shoes.
50,000 people worked at the WTC. If 5% of them didn't show up for work, that's 2,500 people. With such a large number, there's bound to be stories that sound like miracles, but in reality they were just lucky.

One of the planes was actually on the way to California so LA could have been destroyed instead of New York.
What is your point? The hijackers had no plans to fly all the way to LA.

Now here is a clipping showing that people survived a direct hit while in a church in a tornado..

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : A Night of Tornado Chaos in Oklahoma City: 9 Killed, 71 Injured | Weather Underground
You omitted the underlined sentence right before what you quoted...

"Even without an underground shelter, most people will be able to survive a dangerous EF-4 tornado. Case in point: during the Mannford, Oklahoma EF-4 tornado of 1984, a packed church received a direct hit, and everyone in the church survived."

People survive tornadoes all the time. It's not miraculous. You think it's a sign of God simply because it happened at a church. But it happens anywhere.

There were no fatalities at the elementary school in Oklahoma City that got flattened by a tornado last year.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
But a lot of people don't realize that for some amazing reasons some people didn't show up for work that day 9-11-01.
Some amazing reason? People don't show up for work all over the world, every day. It happens. That's not a sign of a miracle. That's just coincidence. Have you never missed work ever in your life, Reason? I'm amazed that you consider that part of it some kind of miracle.

One woman said something was wrong with her clock. Another person had something about going back home to change shoes.
:rolleyes: Again, there are millions of people who don't show up to work daily, for a million different reasons. This isn't a sign of a miracle.

One of the planes was actually on the way to California so LA could have been destroyed instead of New York.
I think Major covered this well enough, but if the terrorist wanted to attack LA, they would have. They didn't want to. New York was the target. You're stretching here.

I'll say it again. I absolutely believe in miracles. But everything mentioned in this thread so far is a stretch. Not everything is a miracle. People some days don't show up for work. People survive tornadoes. These things happen in life.

Reason, I have a question for you. You see a miracle in all the things you've mentioned so far. What would you think or say if someone took your exact examples and turned them against God? Like let's say, for instance:
"If God existed, why did only one bible survive partially. Why didn't He make ALL the bibles survive?"
"If God exists, why didn't he make ALL the employees not show up for work on 9-11?"

See where I'm going with this? If you look for the devil in things, you will find it. If you look for a miracle, you will find it. Doesn't mean it's there.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
So God permitted an explosion and saved a copy of the most common book in existence, but totally allowed 8 one-of-a-kind people to die, and that's a miracle.

1 Large Bible > 8 people. Got it.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Also do we have any idea of how this bible was housed? For all we know it was locked in a safe, or in a draw, or in a locker, the article makes no mention anywhere as to where it was located so there is flaw one.

Flaw two, as others have said there is no mention anywhere of anything else being recovered, if a bottle of holy water was destroyed would this mean that god kinda cared but kinda didn't?

Flaw three, a book is a very solid object, it is not brittle so it is very likely it could have survived an explosion as the explosion itself was not on the book itself.

God seems to get an awful lot of praise for saving people and yet no-one ever says god does not deserve praise when bad things happen, when things do all we hear is "god has a plan for everyone".

ILuvChuzzles31

Registered Member
Well I would like to ask a question..
Let's imagine if you were one of those people that worked at the WTC on 9-11.. And just for a split second literally something delayed you from going to your office the split second when it got attacked.

Can you honestly say that you would not say whether to yourself or out loud these words? "Thank God"

Or do you believe it was just coincidence still? Unless you believe that God exists you can or will neve understand where or how we believe that God saved from us the attack.

What makes you think that God didn't save people from this?
If you say that yes he did save some then how could you know for sure which people he saved and which he didn't?
If you go on to say then why didn't God just save everyone from this? I truly believe that God says that their tasks here on Earth was finished and that it was time for them to go home to him.
But as for the others that were saved they have more to do for God here on Earth.

Last edited: