The best way to quit a bad habbit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by merob, May 8, 2006.

1. merob

merob Boom!

Recently I've decided to stop drinking and smoking.
    About a year ago, I got stressed out and began smoking cigarettes. Over time, the cigs were roughly replaced with marijuana usage. . For the past few months, I've been smoking every weekend, consistantly. I realize my habbit picked up pace lately. My values, and healthy environment began to decline. Aside from the given, this behavior is risky, being I have family and friends who wouldn't approve. With school, and athletics involved, this maybe a very chritical point in my life. I've decided recently to lay off the goods, for at least a while. NO more drinkin', no more freaquent smoking.

Excersize helps. Everytime I get the urge, I hit the gym and start joggin. Late nights I'll do cardio, or lift weights. Work is a good way to put off stress.
    Studying. The process seems as if it'd add more stress from a glance. However, I've often found studying relaxing. This way I'll get school work done. I'm not sure if this alternative is for every body.
    Finding other things to do. Visit a park or museum, or participate in an activity. It'd definately help to keep yourself distracted. There a lot of times I felt like smoking because I lacked other things to do.

2. There's always two methods that can be applied to almost anything (from quitting substance abuse to going vegan):

1) Quit for 3 weeks - Stop drinking/smoking for 3 weeks. I know this can be hard but if you have the will power to stop drinking and smoking for 3 weeks, then what stops you from quitting entirely?

2) Gradual stop - It depends on how much you smoke/drink... If you smoke like a 2 packs of cigs every week, try to cut down your intake. One week set your goal to 1 pack. The next week only smoke half of a pack every week. Next step to try to cut it out entirely. It depends on how gradual you want to take this method.

I got pretty bad with smoking once. I stopped and now I just smoke a pack of cloves every now and then... I go through a pack in like 2 weeks or so.... so I smoke less than a pack a month. ~_~

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

That would be called going cold turkey, and is one of the hardest ways of quitting a habit. I prefer the sound of a gradual stop, and if you smoke, start using patches etc.

4. merob

merob Boom!

"cold turkey" would be the best method for myself. Back when I was smoking cigs, I gradually slowed down. After a while I became comfortable with my preportions, and with out noticing, my smoking once again became more freaquent. I could try using that method, but I'd have to stop all together at some point.

5. Yeah, going Cold Turkey probably wouldnt be such a great idea.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Gradual stop may be the best way. slow and easy

also having someone relianle to help you might be smart too

7. Any time I want to get rid of a bad habbit I replace it with another (less destructive) one.

8. CHEW GUM!!! haha, that or cold turkey

9. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

Cold turkey is DELICIOUS.

Just every time you crave it, find something else to distract you.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Just try to keep yourself busy that you wont think about it, that's the only way I can say to be honest with you, the best way would be Cold Turkey, but good luck my friend.