• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies The Best Sci-Fi Films

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Of all genres in the world of Cinema one of the few I don't to watch is Sci-Fi. I don't have a problem with the genre as such its just I don't tend to watch them. As a result my list will be rather small but for you what are your favorite Sci-Fi films? What is about the films that makes you like them so much? How many times have you seen them?

My list is:

Terminator 2 - I do like the original film but something about this film was just better for me, maybe its because it was more comedic in a way or that the script is better but given the choice I would watch this.

Alien - Unlike the second where you saw a lot of the Alien in the first you didn't really see it and for me that was what was more terrifying, it was almost a horror film mixed with Sci-Fi.

Robocop - I can't remember the first time I saw Robocop but I know for a fact that a; I was not old enough to see it & b; I didn't watch it at homes, I remember watching it at a friends when were bunking off school one day so for me it has always had a place in my heart.

Starship Troopers - For me this film is very underrated, rather like Robocop I was too young to have seen this and there is one scene that if any one has seen it will no which one stood out for me. The thing is at the time of seeing it I don't think I appreciated it for the satirical commentary of the American army that it was but now I look at it it is genius.

There are more but that is it for the moment :)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Two of the ones you mentioned Ginock are my all time favourites too. I love Terminator 2 and Alien.

I would also like to add:

Serenity: Joss Whedons TV show Firefly is one of my all-time favourite shows. While this film isn't as good as the show to me, it's still an amazing example of this Sci-Fi Western genre that he built up in this extremely unique world.

The Abyss: One of the few James Cameron films I really love, this film is amazing, especially the ending. It doesn't even feel like sci-fi for the first three quarters of the film, it's subtle but then at the end you understand why it fits the genre so well.

Back to the Future: This whole trilogy is amazing, I've loved these films for years and since I grew up with them I have a certain sense of nostalgia. I especially love the second one, where Marty travels to the year 2015 and we already have flying cars.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: This is one of my all time favourite Speilburg movies. I even own it on Collector's Edition blu-ray. I love that this film doesn't go the traditional route of the invading 'leeching' aliens, coming to take over our planet etc, but rather more inquisitive creatures, working with the humans.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: I first watched this 1951 classic on a tiny screen on the back of an aeroplane seat. It was a long boring flight, but the times I was watching this film I was completely absorbed. The message in this film about humans being too violent is amazing. I've since bought this film on DVD and watched it several more times.

Jurassic Park: Could we really have any list without these classics? True they feel more like action/adventure than sic-fi, but these films undoubtedly have science fiction elements within them with has them count for this category.

Star Wars? 2001 A Space Odyssey? I could go on. Sci fi is pretty much my favourite film and TV genre.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Some great films already mentioned, but te first film that popped into my head here was Planet of The Apes. One of my favourite films when i was a kid, and still is! Loved the TV series that we had on tape too, as silly as it was :p

Taliesin

Registered Member
I think Fritz Lang's 1927 silent film Metropolis is an amazing example of the genre, and just a masterwork of the German expressionist school of film making. The use of miniatures for the city was astonishing for the time, and still holds up well today. And the Maschinenmensch was a jaw dropping robot design by the sculptor Walter Schulze-Mittendorff. You can see that it was the template for George Lucas's C-3PO. Such a totally stunning film.

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis was based on the 1949 manga of the same name which was in turned based on Fritz Lang's original film. It was written by Katsuhiro Otomo (of Akira fame), and directed by Rintaro (of Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 fame). It's a stunning visual feast with its retro science fiction architecture, and is simply one of the best animated features to ever come out of Japan.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now, but these are the two I keep coming back to more than most. I'll add more as they occur to me.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
Well, many of my favourite movies have already been mentioned, like Star Wars, Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes, etc. I am missing one, though: The Matrix trilogy. The symbolism in this movie is simply amazing - how it incorporates modern religions in contrast to science is just great.

spacemonkey

Registered Member
of the top of my head... pandorum would have to be one of my favourites... sort of reminds me of platos cave allegory... and sunshine... for me that movie is more of a psychological thriller with C
sci-fi aspects... and also deals with mans battle with self destruction and the instinct to survive and the need to be at one with nature... time machine, with guy pierce, was underrated in my opinion... I love time paradoxes... and who wouldn't want to know what happens to the earth 800,000 years in the future...also the time fast forward scene is intense.... and most of the films already mentioned...

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
ginock said:
As a result my list will be rather small but for you what are your favorite Sci-Fi films? What is about the films that makes you like them so much? How many times have you seen them?
I like a fair amount of sci-fi films... my two favourite TV series are sci-fi (Babylon5 and outer limits) however with sci-fi films I usually love them or hate them. I think everyone else has covered everything I would mention. I like BTTF and Jurassic park especially.

My personal favourite sci-fi film is 2001: A space odyssey. It's one of my all-time favourite films, actually. I love the soundtrack and just the general epic-ness. I could watch it over and over (and I have :D)

Besides 2001: A space odyssey, I do prefer the more factual space films.