• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies The best Heist Films

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
One genre of film that can really transend many other is the Heist movies mainly because whilst a heist may be involved in a film and it may be the start of the film but normally there is something deeper.

I have not seen a lot of them but these are some of the ones I love:

Oceans Eleven (2001)
The Lookout
The Italian Job
A Life Less Ordinary

As I say - all of these films involve a heist in some way but that is not the ultimate goal of the film. Oceans Eleven is a romance piece with elements of crime. A Life Less Ordinary was about a man who had nothing to loose so kidnapped someone but in the end found meaning in his life.

Would you agree? Which of the genre do you love?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Reservoir Dogs is pretty solid. Incidentally, maybe the only heist film that doesn't show the heist. "Stuck in the middle with you." Also Dog Day Afternoon. Any more with "dog" in the title?

Bliss

Sally Twit
'Set It Off' is my all time favourite. Four women robbing banks for their own personal reasons. It's one of those films not many people have heard of, but I always recommend it.

It's not the sort of genre I seek out by any means, but there are some which are an entertaining watch. Definitely agree with 21. I watched that in the cinema and recently watched it again, as it's been added to Netflix.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Reservoir Dogs is pretty solid. Incidentally, maybe the only heist film that doesn't show the heist. "Stuck in the middle with you." Also Dog Day Afternoon. Any more with "dog" in the title?
I can't believe I forgot to include Reservoir Dogs, it is a wonderful film. Have you seen City on Fire? It was a film that RD was if not based on was at least inspired from.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I can't believe I forgot to include Reservoir Dogs, it is a wonderful film. Have you seen City on Fire? It was a film that RD was if not based on was at least inspired from.
No, I haven't seen it, but I'm going to have to. Hopefully it's on Netflix.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Both Heat and The Town are incredible films, I also like Takers... which is more of a guilty pleasure. But how can you not like a film with Idris Elba in it? Haha.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't watch many heist films so my list might not be the most impressive. I know that people hate the new Gone in 60 Seconds but I've enjoyed it since it first came out. I also enjoy The Italian Job (Minis and theft, yay!), and Ocean's Eleven. All three movies entertain me greatly and at times have kept me at the end of my seat.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
The Italian Job is iconic, the '69 version of course -

However, there is a lot of other heist films I've seen that I liked:

'Heist' comes straight to mind, because it's called Heist
'Heat' is a cracking good film, although there's a bit more going on than just the heist
Inside Man is a pretty good one too
I liked The Score with DeNiro
Someone said Reservoir Dogs, another superb flick

And there's
Dog Day Afternoon
Cradle 2 the Grave has a good heist in it
Bad Santa
The Getaway
and Quick Change is piss funny

I like heist films, some are a bit well - they kinda go away from the heisty bit, but the heisting is always good, especially in these

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I know that people hate the new Gone in 60 Seconds but I've enjoyed it since it first came out.
I thought I would hate Gone in 60 Seconds, it is formulaic, by the numbers, predictable and some of acting is beyond bad and yet, and yet, I still love it as a movie, yes its cheesy but I honestly don't mind that, even Nic Cage wasn't bad in it (and I never thought I would say that), I know a lot of people had a problem with Christopher Ecclestone but I think he is was great in it especially in this scene:

Am I an arsehole?

I also loved it near the end when Nic Cage is threatening to break Ecclestones chair and he is begging him to put it down, it is a wonderfully comic scene.

Reactions: Doc