• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The beginning of the end for PGWWE?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
"You little bitches, let's go!" I literally fell over on the couch laughing when Mae Young busted out that one and "Sluts!" on LayCool. But I was also cheering, because it was right in line with the loosening I've been seeing lately. Did you notice that announcers are calling Dylan Postl "Horny" again, or that they mentioned Big Dick Johnson by name? Striker got off a very raunchy joke on RAW recently, too, when relating his meeting with that week's guest star: "He said, 'Hi, I'm Pee Wee Herman,' and I said, 'Hi, I'm Enormous Matt." (If you don't get the gag, do a Google Images search for matt striker nude and all will be made clear.) There have been a few other hopeful signs as well.

Looking at it from a business angle, with ratings down and Linda's Senate hopes up in smoke, Vince would be a fool not to make the adjustment back to the 'old school' days of sex and juicing. In fact, that may be exactly where the 'old school episode' idea originated. It sure made me pine for the good old days!

Need a smoking gun? Is small, but I got. On the 11th there was this brief item bundled below a couple of others on a rajah.com news page:

-- There has been a change in WWE's creative process as it's said that they "want to push the envelope" on company programming. It is also said that they want the commentators making more inside jokes.
Short, but one of the best rumors I've heard out of creative for a long while. 'Pushing the envelope,' by the way, was a phrase sometimes used by Vince himself during the Attitude Era to describe the direction he was taking WWF programming at the time.

So, what do you think? Had you been noticing any little signs pointing in that direction? Does it sound like I might be on to something here? Please say yes to that last one, haha.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I really hope it was not for one night only...I have noticed the same thing as well. I was going to post a thread just like this today but you beat me to it. I hope this is going to be the beginning of a transition.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've noticed a few things about the change as well, when I heard Mae Young say Sluts I was a bit surprised, but who knows if she was suppose to say that in the first place. The WWE definitely needs to start pushing the envelope again, they lost a lot of fans when they went to PG. Elevating that rating to PG14 would definitely bring in more viewers.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Read this yesterday, actually.

Members of The Nexus reportedly watched "Rowdy" Roddy Piper's promo intently and the biggest reaction backstage occurred when Mae Young referred to Lay-Cool as "sluts" and "bitches." Her remarks reportedly made Vince McMahon laugh.
Mae Young is old, senile, and crazy so what she said wasn't planned...she just doesn't know any better.

But I hope we do get it up to at least PG 13.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm still skeptical, I need more solid proof that a major paradigm shift will happen. I don't necessarily equate the use of inside jokes with making the actual storylines and dialogue a little more shifted to teens/adults.

I agree that Mae just isn't the type of person you really script and she probably just let it fly without thinking.

Still, even while being skeptical, I'm not ignoring little signs. My hopes are lifted sometimes...for example, why bring Mark Henry out as "Sexual Chocolate?"

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
If WWE moved away from the PG stage I would more then likely start watching again. I'd love for more hardcore stuff to happen like it used too, but I know McMahon doesn't really like that.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If WWE moved away from the PG stage I would more then likely start watching again. I'd love for more hardcore stuff to happen like it used too, but I know McMahon doesn't really like that.
There's no way that we'll see Hardcore matches from the Attitude ERA again in the WWE, especially after the Chris Benoit incident.

Like I said many times, I personally don't want that type of stuff again in the WWE. It's not that I don't enjoy it, because that couldn't be further from the truth. The thing is that these wrestlers already put their bodies through hell 300 days a year wrestling normal matches. Add Harcore matches, and you get more damage to the body, especially to the brain, which I don't like seeing.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree with BR, while the hardcore matches were fun to watch, many of these guys put their bodies through enough already.

I do hope this means they're moving at least in some ways back to at least PG-14. I know I would start watching more if they did.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
There's no way that we'll see Hardcore matches from the Attitude ERA again in the WWE, especially after the Chris Benoit incident.

Like I said many times, I personally don't want that type of stuff again in the WWE. It's not that I don't enjoy it, because that couldn't be further from the truth. The thing is that these wrestlers already put their bodies through hell 300 days a year wrestling normal matches. Add Harcore matches, and you get more damage to the body, especially to the brain, which I don't like seeing.
Fair call, but I'm not talking hardcore matches all the time or bringing back the hardcore belt or anything, I'd just like to see them more often, or at least more technical wrestling instead of just big dudes that can't really do anything ala Batista, Khali etc.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fair call, but I'm not talking hardcore matches all the time or bringing back the hardcore belt or anything, I'd just like to see them more often, or at least more technical wrestling instead of just big dudes that can't really do anything ala Batista, Khali etc.
There's no point of bringing the title back if they won't be allowed to have the same type of Hardcore matches. It's like when the WWE brought ECW back, everyone hated it because there were barely any hardcore matches, and the two didn't even relate with each other. It was pretty much a slap in the face of the old E C DA W, it would be the same thing if they did bring back the Hardcore title.

I'm not sure if you know, but the WWE have banned chair shots to the head.