The Axis of Evil

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mr Casey, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Mr Casey

Mr Casey Guest

Great Britan has been the power house of the world for the last 300 years. However, their interference throughout the world can be traced all the way to modern day problems.

Here are the main two:

One: The Middle East. Britan formed boundries regardless of the religions or ethnicities of the people there, such as Iraq. Furthermore, they saw it fit to take lands and create Israel itself. While I dont question the Jew's rights to live there, I do question the wisdom of creating a nation of Jews in Muslim territory.

Two: Ireland: The IRA has been a huge problem for teh British, and all they do is complain about it. However, what right did the British have to take part of an island that was not theirs, and then prosecute the people of the island. The whole conflict there can be traced back to the British meddling.

People complain about America as the cause of conflict throughout the world. Yet it appears to me as though the worlds largest physical conflicts can be traced to the British foriegn policies. Anyone else have insight on this?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Ahh, so we're going to ignore Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the various CIA coups of Central America, South America, Iran and Africa, Vietnam and the Agent Orange issues. Through the Shah we created Iran in the Axis of Evil, through supporting Iraq in the Iran-Iraq we made Iraq powerful enough to be an Axis member, and by allowing the Soviet Union to declare war on Japan in the waning days of WW2 we allowed them to invade Korea and keep it divided, thus indirectly creating Axis member No. 3.

Since decolonization after WW2 the British haven't done a damn thing, and the US has managed to destabilize, dedemocratize, and create their own enemies through so-called "meddling".

Ridiculous, get your facts straight.

3. WindAndConfusion

WindAndConfusion Registered Member

Politics in the US and UK have been joined at the hip at least since the end of World War I. We also share a common language, religion, system of government, economic structure, and er, basically everything else. The most substantive difference between the US and a Commonwealth country is how we spell 'colour'. From far outside the British colonies, it's hard to tell any of them apart.

One acronym: NATO. Everything the US did, the UK (and Australia and Canada and Ireland and even a few others) helped with. The UK got involved in Grenada, the US got involved in the Falklands.

4. Mr Casey

Mr Casey Guest

The point is, most of America's intervention can be traced back to the Brits failure to actually stabilize the area that used to be their colonies. America might cause some stuff, but the underlaying cause of America's actions can be traced to the British.

Learn some history first.

5. WindAndConfusion

WindAndConfusion Registered Member

Vietnam was formerly a French colony. The US took the war over from them, not the Brits. The North/South Korea divide was an artifact of Japanese rule, and the US managed the situation from the end of WWII to the Korean War. The Banana Republics, Cuba, American Samoa, and plenty of other little island territories mostly in the Pacific were directly under US control since the late nineteenth century. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots.

And hyoo~, but then there's South and Central America... The US didn't need any help at all fucking them up.

The US has been an empire for a bit more than a hundred years now, and there's no getting around the fact that it's almost always a nasty fucking business. (Cf the UK, the French, the Dutch, the Soviets, modern China, ancient China, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Rome, Persia, Babylon...)

6. breathilizer

breathilizer Resident Ass-Kisser

America and the Europe are related in a sense because most of American's have European roots. We share much common ground and that makes it easy for us to share ideas and trade goods. That makes it easy to cooperate for mutual prosperity.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Guest

I am reminded of Harry Truman's comment that he made on the way to Potsdam to meet Churchill and Stalin- that Churchill was there to prove that Britain was still Great Britain.

Prior to the first World War, England was a powerhouse. A lot of that had to do with the fact that the US was still an emerging superpower (thanks to Teddy Roosevelt and his Great White Fleet of Battleships) and that Queen Victoria was the grandmother of many of the royal houses of Europe. If anyone acted up, Victoria sent them a nasty letter telling them to cool it. Europe was an armed camp, and England made the difference depending on whom they supported. "Pax Britannica" they called it. After her death, all the pent up emotions boiled over into World War 1. World War One had a terrible drain on England's manpower and finances. England effectively left the war no longer a superpower. That role now belonged to the United States, which emerged from the fighting relatively unscathed. The aftermath of the war and the rise of Stalin to power led the Soviet Union to becoming a superpower. Course that country didn't even last 100 years, let alone as a superpower. So much for Marx and Lenin and proletarian totalitarianism, eh?

No country remains on top forever. At one time or another Rome, France, Spain, Portugal, Holland, England were, and now the US is on top. There are some who wonder if the US, since it has squandered most of its goodwill and financial resources on Iraq, has hastened our fall and the rise of another country- say India or China, as the next Superpower. Being a superpower is not totally dependent on having the biggest guns anymore. Economic power is just as important when another country can ruin you financially. China holds a great deal of the US debt. If they decided to foreclose, it would be disastrous.

I think out biggest problem is that we, like many superpowers before us, have not realized the influence of ethnic differences and the desire for self-determination. Colonization has always been a headache, because indigenous people don't like being told what to do by foreigners.

Just some food for thought.