The Atomic Bomb

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Is it right, morally, ethically or otherwise, to use nuclear weapons in certain situations?

This refers to both the larger issue and the two cases where nuclear weapons have been used in the course of a declared war.

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I think if the nation or organization pushes said nation to the point where nukes were the only option to prevent further bloodshed, I am for it. WW2 Japan was a perfect example of this. The Americans understood it would be a massive undertaking and would potentially cost the lives of thousands of American soldiers if we invaded their mainland. Nukes were a viable option in this case to stop Japan dead in their tracks, and get their attention if you will.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Depends on what kind of war you're running, doesn't it?

If you want to send a message of total annihilation to people, nothing does it better than a few nukes in the ass, eh? However, if you're looking to fight select people, a bomb like that is not necessary.

4. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

My own personal code of ethics recognizes that mixed in with the psychotic population of ___________ that we are hypothetically at war with, are regular, everyday people just trying to get on with life, without filling it full of hatred.

Admittedly, the existence of (and threat of using) nuclear weaponry has ushered in a ridiculous new era of relative "peace" --> As for actually using them? Well, some small part of me is very glad I don't have to make those decisions....

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

I would agree except for the fact that the nukes we have now are just astronomically powerful and destructive. The bombs dropped on Japan just do not compare. The nukes we have now are just too powerful to actually use. The point of a nuke anyhow is that it is more of a symbol of power than a weapon you actually use. "Best weapon is one you never have to fire", and all that.