The Art of the Bank Shot

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Godfather, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Godfather

Godfather Guest

IF I'm not mistaken, the bank shot has been statistically proven to increase a players chances of making the shot. I just don't get why majority of the league don't use it. D-Wade was burning them with the bank in the Finals. Timmy has been doing it for years, and it has worked damn it. NBA players are stupid....

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Bank shots are really hard to master. Even though all these players are great atheletes not everyone can do it. It's something you got to put a lot of work into. Another guy who's using it more and more as to be Chris Bosh. I watch every Raptors game I can and Chris as been surprising people with is new and improve bank shot.

3. Godfather

Godfather Guest

IF the bank shot is in fact easier to make, does it make logic to say it's harker to master? I think it all has to do with the habit. Most people just sticks to one.

4. Babe_Ruth

I never said it's easier, I said it's harder. But I do agree with you with the last comment you stated. People shoot the way it's easier for them, and if that happens to be the bank shot then they will use it. But you don't see a lot of players using it because it's hard to do it.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Making a shot off the glass is harder from every angle on the court because you have to recalculate everything inside your head. Swishes are "easier" because all you have to do is aim for the basket instead of trying to get the angle right, making sure ther'e spin, hitting the right corner, etc.

6. Babe_Ruth

Perfectly said OXy. The Bank shot is probably harder then a three pointer. Just with all the angles you have to deal with the backboard and the position you're on the floor it's so hard to do. That's why I give credit to players like Tim Duncan who's mastered it.

7. Gustavo

Gustavo Guest

Its really a fundemental of basketball. Things they teach you in middle school, or high school. Use the square on the backboard to aim your shot at. They teach layups using backboards, and i think the backboard is really underrated. Its very hard to master.

8. Godfather

Godfather Guest

If it is truely harder to do, then again, why was it proven to increase a players %? As for calculating, logically, when you shoot for the basket, it is harder to make, since you don't really arm STRAIGHT for the basket. you need to shoot it at a perfect angle to make it. As for the bank, the path the ball has to travel is more linear. And with a soft touch, you can hit various parts of the backboard and still hit the shot.

Hitting a specific part of an object that is upright, like the backboard, is logically easier to do than an object that is parallel to the floor and taller than you.

Again, it is not logical to say that a bank shot is harder to make than a regular shot, while you can make a bank shot more often than a regular jumpshot.

9. Gustavo

Gustavo Guest

With every angle, it is different. With a basket, it is just round, so as long as its good, it will go in. It depends also, how hard you shoot to it, and it needs more pratice. It is harder, clearly, however, when you master it, it is a great threat to have.

10. RajaB

RajaB Guest

i think that bank shots aree easier then shots not hitting the board. people really dont no how great it is to use the banker. wen i play with my freinds and i use the bankshot they always say ewwwww u used the bakboard. they think it is a newbie way to score off the banker.