• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The art of deceptive advertising

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ever wondered why your Big Mac looks so different from that McDonald's billboard? Or why your hotel pool seems overly small compared to its website picture?

The art of deceptive advertising: From brown shoe polish on burgers to hairspray for brighter ingredients, how commercials trick us into buying their products | Mail Online
I don't believe for one minute that advertisements are entirely true TV or otherwise. I never expect my burger to look like the one on the billboard. However 50% of people do. I really didn't think it would be that high.

You would be surprised at some of the tricks they use to make food look better. Like brown shoe polish to make a burger look better or replacing pancake syrup with motor oil. No wonder your food looks different when you get it.

This isn't limited to food though, it also happens with other things such as hotel advertisements or cosmetics.

Do you believe advertisements? Are you surprised by some of their tricks?

molisa

Registered Member
yes i believe in advertisement

it 100% affect on our test

we can try something which is if not in need then also

its only because of attractive advertisement

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I remember seeing a video of fast food burgers being prepped for commercials and I thought a lot of their techniques were pretty ingenious. That being said, I pity anyone who takes advertising literally and assumes they are going to get anything close to what they saw in an ad.

Dominique_Katrina

Registered Member
I always assume that advertisements are embellished or downright deceptive in some way. I never take 100% stock into any commercial or advertisement that I see- deceptive advertising is how they make the sales!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is one thing I noticed in this one commercial for anti wrinkle creme trying to do a before and after comparison shot. In the before picture I get the idea they are smiling and the after picture they aren't, not that you can see their mouth. Smiling will make crows feet more pronounced. If they are doing that its just deceitful.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Oddly enough, I would bet that they teach these kinds of techniques somewhere in advertising school. How and why else would people learn it?

Also, I'm one of those who goes for extreme realism and would rather have them simply work hard in the photographed picture to get their ACTUAL servable food be looking like what they show, but even if they could, I'm guessing it would take too much time, trials and errors, and overall have to pay more people for their labor to do it naturally, so I give them a pass on that. Yeah it isn't exactly comforting to know that there are strange tricks involved, but........ it's gonna take forever to go one-by-one-by-one-by-one-by-one to get the PEEEEEEERfect burger for your billboard shot. I suppose if there was some kind of "rule" where everyone HAD to do it, they'd do it, but if everyone's going to use techniques anyways, they might as well just do that outright rather than if they can't make it happen naturally.

Doesn't surprise me, not TOO offended though.