The appendix is NOT a vestigial organ after all

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by MenInTights, Aug 26, 2009.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

When I was in school the appendix and the tail bone were offered as proof of evolution because they are both useless parts of the body. Since then, the tailbone has been proven to be useful and now the appendix has been found to not be a worthless organ left over from hundreds of thousand years ago.

The Appendix: Useful and in Fact Promising - US News and World Report

Merc likes this.

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Is that honestly what they taught you at school? ....that they are proof of evolution becuase they are useless! Thats shocking:-o

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Interesting. Though, the reasons given for thinking the appendix isn't a vestigial organ, is that it has been around for at least 80 million years, and evolved twice, amongst other things: "We're not saying that Darwin's idea of evolution is wrong — that would be absurd, as we're using his ideas on evolution to do this work". Incidentally, it does do more harm than good in modern humans: "Darwin had no way of knowing that the function of the appendix could be rendered obsolete by cultural changes that included widespread use of sewer systems and clean drinking water."

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

If you have nothing to contribute, don't contribute.

This is interesting though because that's what I remember learning throughout high school and into college was that the appendix was a sign that we are evolved creatures since scientists have long considered it a useless remnant of a previously needed body part.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I've always subscribed to the theory of "If it's part of your body, there's probably a reason it's there". It always urks me to hear about people who have appendix problems and just go ahead and have it removed as a first option.

Sure there are times when it's for the best but it's good to see that it's finally been credited with an actual use. :lol:

Merc likes this.
  6. Clear_Note

Clear_Note Demon King/Sith Warrior

Oh I get it. So it's not useless, it just has a function we're never gonna use thanks to industry and clean water and a function that can be just be carried out by other parts of the body.

Perfect.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Usually if someone has an appendix "problem", the appendix is inflamed and at risk of rupturing. As the appendix sits directly below the large intestine - where feces are stored - this is bad and should be dealt with as an emergency. If your appendix ruptures, feces will leak into your abdominal cavity, resulting in life-threatening peritonitis.

I'm sure that no one goes to their physician and says "say, doc, I'm having these appendix problems, could you just go ahead and yank it out for me?"

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

People don't but doctors certainly used to. Just like with tonsils, first sign of a throat sore and they would just yank 'em out. Turns out tonsils are useful too.