The annoying servant

I find ice-cream men to be rather demented. Not in an overly bad way, but I pull this conclusion from a current scenario.

Outside, it is raining. It is getting late, and it is not particularly warm. It is not ice-cream weather. Yet, a transit van, shoddily decorated in stickers and vibrant yellows and blues has just pulled up playing its rather annoying warble. Now, this seems like a ridiculous thing to be happening.

And, I add, this is not the only time this has occured. I have noticed them before, sometimes in the middle of the night, trying to flog their frozen dairy treats - probably with little success. It is quite odd.
I remember when I was doing my driving lessons, in winter, driving through some housing estate, and there was one then. Pitch black and cold as Alaska. Yet there was a night ice-cream van man making his rounds.

In a way it is annoying. The jingle hurts the ears, and draws my attention because it seems very peculiar. Is he there to just annoy everybody or is he just a shining example of a very optimistic kind of guy. I couldn't tell you. To be honest, I don't know if it's annoying or just baffling. But it's there.

Maybe it's because I've seen films in which horrific deeds are perpetrated from the confines of an ice-cream van - John Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13' being the main production to stand out. Maybe I'm over curious, or maybe I just think too much. But I suppose some sort of question or discussion should come out of this. So it is this:

Are there any unusual, seemingly routinous, characters in your neighbourhood that you find a little unusual. I'm not trying to be morbid, or raise some sort of 'horror scenario' in you. I'm just asking from a very general and inqusitive point of view.

Are there oddballs in your neighbourhood? And is their behaviour odd or erratic enough to justify your opinion/judgement? Please be honest. Thanks.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Your ice cream men remind me of the ice cream men in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I bet they're slinging more than just some ice cream if they're wandering around in the middle of the night. Peddling to the hookers in the area that need their smack.

I live in sunny old Phoenix, Arizona. It's ALWAYS ice cream weather here. Even in the middle of the night.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've noticed some slightly odd times for ice cream men, but never too weird. I think some of it might be if there's some hot weather, then it cools off - they have all that unsold ice cream, and need to try to get rid of it.

That wouldn't explain them doing it in the winter though

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
John Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13' being the main production to stand out.
You've not seen "The Ice-Cream Man" then?
Ice Cream Man (1995)
A wonderful piece of cinematography for any parent wanting to put their children off ice cream forever.

We have "nomad vendors" that sells mealies (corn - on the cob, might I add, freshly stolen off the farms). Their call is equally if not more annoying than the jingle of the ice cream truck. "Meeehaleeeeeeeeeeeees". Ugh. If I did ever stop them to buy a mealie I would only do it so as to hit them in the head with it.

Last edited:
You've not seen "The Ice-Cream Man" then?
Ice Cream Man (1995)
A wonderful piece of cinematography for any parent wanting to put their children off ice cream forever.

We have "nomad vendors" that sells mealies (corn - on the cob, might I add, freshly stolen off the farms). Their call is equally if not more annoying than the jingle of the ice cream truck. "Meeehaleeeeeeeeeeeees". Ugh. If I did ever stop them to buy a mealie I would only do it so as to hit them in the head with it.
That actually seems funny to me. I might start calling ice-cream men that from now one. The Mealies. Dinner with the mealies. At home with the mealies. The mealies go bowling... lmao.

Anyway, I haven't seen that film, but I can guess the content already. I'm sure I saw some other film with a psychotic ice-cream man in it, but I can't remember it. I think I was young, and it probably freaked the hell out of me. Kudos for your story, if I wasn't such a new member I would probably rep you for that - 1) Because it made me laugh. 2) Because I learnt something. 3) Because you answered the thread straightly and 4) Because I have a film to search for, which from the title I will probably hate, but sounds like the sort of shit that is so bad it's good.

So thanks.