• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Americans

Powerful

Registered Member
Not sure if anyone watches this show, but I'm all caught up.

The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears

I really, really thought Martha was going to die in the last episode. Even made a side bet on it. I was surprised at how quickly she was dismissed, even before the title sequence. I kept waiting for a lone gun shot or the plane to explode. Maybe I'm just used to the show killing someone for which it no longer has use.

At this point, I have to believe Martha's gone and that storyline is wrapped. There's no reason to resurrect it, and there really was a feeling of finality to Phillip watching the plane fly away. I have to stretch to come up with a reason she would reappear

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I started watching this a month or two ago on Amazon Prime. I only just started Season 4 so I can't comment on any of the recent episodes yet, but this is the best show on TV right now. More people should be watching it.

Powerful

Registered Member
The Day After

Man oh man, that was a powerful episode.

I remember the build-up to "The Day After." (I was only 10, so my parents wouldn't let me watch it). It was all anyone was talking about for weeks.

Elizabeth's seduction of Don was just gut-wrenching. It's going to cost her the only friend she's got.

No mention of Able Archer 83, but Oleg did mention the Soviet nuclear false alarm in September of that year.

1983 Soviet nuclear false alarm incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also in September of that year was the downing of Korean Airlines Flight 007, which is ironic considering Russian Elizabeth is also taking down a Korean family.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You might want to add a brief description to let everyone know which episode you're referring to in your spoilers. Otherwise, how are we supposed to know if we should even click on it?

Powerful

Registered Member
You might want to add a brief description to let everyone know which episode you're referring to in your spoilers. Otherwise, how are we supposed to know if we should even click on it?
Sorry, my last spoiler is from the episode "The Day After" which was the last new episode aired on Wednesday.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sorry, my last spoiler is from the episode "The Day After" which was the last new episode aired on Wednesday.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've only seen the first five episodes of the season, but I should be caught up before the next one airs. It's been an exciting season so far though!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Not sure if anyone watches this show, but I'm all caught up.

The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears

I really, really thought Martha was going to die in the last episode. Even made a side bet on it. I was surprised at how quickly she was dismissed, even before the title sequence. I kept waiting for a lone gun shot or the plane to explode. Maybe I'm just used to the show killing someone for which it no longer has use.

At this point, I have to believe Martha's gone and that storyline is wrapped. There's no reason to resurrect it, and there really was a feeling of finality to Phillip watching the plane fly away. I have to stretch to come up with a reason she would reappear
I'm all caught up now.

That episode where Martha was on the run was so intense. I thought she was going to get captured by the feds. Now that she's in Russia, I doubt we'll see much of her again, which kind of sucks. She became one of my favorite characters over the last couple of seasons. I just can't see her being a major part of the story again unless the Russians try to use her at trade bait at some point.

Powerful

Registered Member
If the Russians did trade her back, they would essentially be giving up their best two agents by giving the Americans the opportunity to question Martha. For that to trade to happen, Phillip and Elizabeth would have to already be on the outs with the Center or they would have to be trading for someone/something much more valuable. I can't think of what/who that would be.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
If the Russians did trade her back, they would essentially be giving up their best two agents by giving the Americans the opportunity to question Martha. For that to trade to happen, Phillip and Elizabeth would have to already be on the outs with the Center or they would have to be trading for someone/something much more valuable. I can't think of what/who that would be.
It's more likely that Martha's main story is simply finished, like Nina. I think we'll get to see bits and pieces of her integrating into Russia, or not being able to. It's totally reasonable that we never hear from her again.

Powerful

Registered Member
So the "Previously on The Americans" included the scene of Stan telling Phillip about Gaad's trip to Thailand. Is there any way that Phillip is the source for how the Russians knew Gaad would be there? If so, that could create some interesting tension.

His death scene felt pretty rushed to me. Before I could even ask "What the hell is going on?" he was bleeding out on the patio. The build up was so small in comparison to other characters, like Nina or Gregory. Almost made me feel bad for him twice, like he didn't deserve to die AND he deserved a better death scene.