The 5 Second Rule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Feb 22, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Most all of us know what the 5 Second rule is. For those that dont:

Does this rule apply to you or are you to Prudent to ever touch food that has fallen from your grasp onto an unsure-if-clean surface?

If you do follow the 5 second rule... do you have any exceptions? For instance applying the rule only if on Concrete or Wood but never on Dirt?

For those that feel the 5 second rule is a disgusting practice performed only by neanderthals..... What is the worst example of a 5 second rule being invoked that you've ever seen?

Bliss likes this.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I even go further then the five second rule with certain things. I could tell you things I've eatten before that has passed the five second rule by a lot, but I won't go in full details.

Personally I just wipe off the dust on the piece of food and if it's not all that bad to eat then I'll just eat away.

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I didn't know about the 5 second rule but I do pick it as fast as possible so that germs won't be able to jump on it.
    I may wash it or clean the dust. it depends on where it has fallen. If it's in the street, i'll never pick it lol.
    If it's at home ... then yes.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't really follow the rule, if the food is too dirty to recover I will get rid of it, but if it isn't that bad I will still eat it.

5. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

There's no 5 second rule for me. I'll pick stuff up after 30 seconds of dropping it and still eat it.

6. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I dont follow the rule. Anything that I usually drop I'll pick it up see if it's eatable and if it ain't then I'll usually chuck it or clean it off depending of the food, and if I dont see anything on it then I'll continue eating it without hesitation. I even apply the same rule for chewing gum.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Yeah, the 5 second rule means nothing to me. Once it hits the floor, it makes no different whether it's there for 1 second or 10 minutes. Doesn't mean it's not still fine to eat, mind. :lol: It depends on the floor and the food.

wetish food + unclean OR spotless floor = no

dry food + unclean floor = no

dry food + spotless floor = go for it

Wade8813 likes this.
  8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

This is what I keep trying to tell people - it all depends on the circumstances.

If watermelon lands on the ground, that's gonna be pretty bad immediately. Or if something lands in a pile of dirt in your front yard, it's probably not savable.

But if I drop a Kit Kat bar, and the surface is at least semi-clean, I'd be willing to eat it after sitting on the ground for an hour (although there's no reason to actually wait that long... :lol:)

9. _LC_

_LC_ Registered Member

If its in my own home, more than likely its ok to eat. although, if its wet, it will probably get cat hair on it, so I'll just toss it.

10. Danno

Danno Registered Member

For me the 5 second rule on applies when it is my food, that will be put into my mouth.

When I am in the Cafe at work and I accidentally drop a customers bit of food on the floor, it can stay there for 10 minutes and get served.