The 2000's Decade

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by nothingspecial, Jun 26, 2009.

1. nothingspecial

nothingspecial New Member

Ever since World War II, our culture has been evolving and advancing at an ever quickening pace. Although we generally seperate cultural eras into decades, the fact is that our society changes with every year.

My question to all of you is what is the story of the 2000's? And if we are to think in terms of decades, what is it that has defined these last ten years?

I've been able to come up with seven things which have changed:

Cars
    Fashion
    Art
    Video
    Music
    Politics
    Technology

What do you think about this?...

2. HappyFace

HappyFace Registered Member

The War on Terror.

People will look back on us and think about how immature and ignorant we really were as people. Fighting a figment of our imagination.

I think what we really have to show for ourselves is how we have bastardised art, music and movies.

Once meaningful expressions of emotion now just attempts at making that million or more.

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The fall of mass media and the rise of mass individualism.

It's not some fad that CNN and Time have a boner for. Newspapers are falling because their sources now publish on their own rather than talk to them. Millions of people followed the Iran election on Twitter while CNN talked about celebrities and plastic surgery. They posted shootings and terror on Youtube to prove it was escalating. They posted images on Flickr. And they organized worldwide protests through Facebook. None of this was possible in 1999. None of it.

4. snelling101

snelling101 Registered Member

yes... that is all i really have to say because this person is almost directly saying what i would have

5. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Yep, I sorta agree with Kaz

The 90's were all about TV, while the 00's are about computers and internet. The generation of 90 was therefore passive and hedonistic. Thanks to the internet people are more stimulated to take an active stance, get involved in things and search for things on their own. Entertainment has been replaced by information or infotainment. Popular culture with an endless variety of subcultures to the point we can only speak of individuals rather than groups.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Internet communications. The 2000's had a ton of new information transfer methods and social networking innovations. I also agree with the war on terror, that's going to be a nice stain in a few decades.

7. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

For the record the 90's sucked and the decade of 2000 wasn't much better.

We have the infamous War on Terror and the Bush Regime to start off with. Then we have the technology boost throughout the decade. Apple products becoming increasingly popular, blackberry's, more sophisticated cellular phones and so on.

Probably one of the biggest if not the biggest aspects of change in this decade and it's not over yet.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The power of internet, the new telecommunication gadgets...

I cannot describe what would be considered 2000 music. In the industry, it's probably marked by MJ's disappearance.

Politics: the wars, Obama, (hopefully no nukes...)