• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Texting while driving worse than drunk driving.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Drivers who use their mobile phones to send text messages while behind the wheel have slower reaction times than those who have been drinking or taking drugs.

Texting while driving 'slows reaction times more than drink or drugs' | Mail Online
A drug or drunk drivers reaction time is better than a texting driver. While drunk at least you are looking at the road. Someone texting has no idea what is going on around them. That is going to slow down your reaction time a lot.

I think there should be tougher penalties for texting while driving. Talking is bad enough but I imagine texting is worse. I think if you kill someone in a car crash because you were texting then it should be treated the same as it would if it were a drunk driver.

Thoughts?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I would even argue if you are driving drunk, you focus more on your driving than when sober. Sure, your focus is not what it should be, but you are trying to compensate for the drunkenness. That's just my opinion, don't hold me to it scientifically.

The opposite is true for texting while driving. Your attention is on your phone and not on the road. You don't know what's going on around you and if you are not causing an accident, it would at least be hard to avoid an accident, which might have been avoided if your attention was on the road.

I have no experience with driving while on drugs, but as far as driving drunk and driving while texting, I agree they should be considered equally dangerous and reckless, with similarly harsh punishments for both.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Anybody who texts while driving is a bloody idiot. Pure and simple. They deserve to be slammed to the fullest extent of the law. If your precious texting is more important to you than the safety of your passengers and fellow road users, then you don't even deserve a license.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know texting while driving is the biggest problem now but I saw a man driving down the road one time while reading a newspaper. I thought what a idiot. I'm glad that don't happen much. That would be just as bad as texting while driving. If your doing either your not paying attention to where you are going.

I've also seen women try to put on make up or people making out while driving which is equally stupid. That is something that I have never done. People need to pay attention to the road, your or someone elses life may depend on it.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Let's face it. There are a lot of idiots out there who don't think about anybody but themselves. If they did, then they'd be a bit more careful. But no, they act like they're indestructible and that everybody else should be too.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You would think with all the accidents because of this and talking on the phone people would finally wise up. That's what gets me. I figure its the same old attitude that it won't happen to me.

Taliesin

Registered Member
The kinds of people who do this are probably the kind that won't be told what to do, unfortunately. They think they can handle absolutely anything, and buy into the myth that it's possible to multi task when you're driving. However, they are severely overestimating their own abilities in this area, and as such other people will probably pay for this over-inflated "can do anything" attitude.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I wouldn't be surprised if some company isn't already working on a system to ban texting on interstates. Seems like it would be easy to do. All you'd need to take the geospatial coordinates of the interstate and tell the cell towers to block any texting from those locations if the car was moving. So you could either pull over and text or place a call. As much as I hate the idea, we're going to have to treat people like babies with texting. I probably see 5 people a day texting while driving. what idiots.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have no idea if texting while driving is worse than drunk driving, but it's definitely a lot more prevalent and they really need to crack down on it. I see it all the time, and I've literally nearly been run over because of it several times while I'm out walking.

I think it should probably carry the same penalties as a DUI does. And it shouldn't be that hard to enforce, especially at night. Just look for the glow.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be surprised if some company isn't already working on a system to ban texting on interstates. Seems like it would be easy to do. All you'd need to take the geospatial coordinates of the interstate and tell the cell towers to block any texting from those locations if the car was moving. So you could either pull over and text or place a call. As much as I hate the idea, we're going to have to treat people like babies with texting. I probably see 5 people a day texting while driving. what idiots.
The problem with that is, how would they determine if it's the driver or a passenger texting? I'd be annoyed if I wasn't allowed to text while the car is moving and I am not driving. But other than that, I agree something should be done to force people to stop acting like idiots.