• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Texas threatens resettlement agency over Syrian refugees

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Can't say that I blame them. Texas has thousands of illegals, some claiming refugee status, to deal with every month and now they are wanting to pile more on them. Of course this is on top of the hundreds of thousands of other refugees we have taken in over the last decade. I bet most are still on public assistance yet we wonder why we have to pay out so much in entitlements.

I think the first hundred should be sent to live in the White House.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know how reliable this place is but this is alarming.

In February, the State Department moved to ease the rules that protect the U.S. from accepting refugees with potential ties to terrorist organizations. The rules were seen as “too strict” by the refugee-resettlement groups that lobby Congress and the administration to continuously let in more Muslims from the war-torn Middle East.

--------

Melanie Nezer, head of policy and advocacy at Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, one of the organizations that resettles refugees in the U.S. using federal grants, wrote an op-ed March 28 in the New York Daily News in which she called for the U.S. to accept 75,000 Syrian refugees over the next five years. That would be 15,000 a year coming to the U.S. under permanent refugee status.
http://www.wnd.com/2014/09/u-n-to-dump-flood-of-muslim-refugees-on-u-s/

If this is true then this 10,000 is just going to be the beginning. Washington will cave in to these special interest groups they always do.

Powerful

Registered Member
Yes, you really can blame em. It's not up to a some random officials using a maze of legal resources funded by taxpayers, to intimidate people and try to run them off by making them spend money to have to fight frivolous legal battles at a cost. It's a free country. A dumbass governor can't unilaterally ban groups of people he doesn't like from his state, at his whim. That kind of dictatorial power didn't come with the election results that got him into office.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know how reliable this place is but this is alarming.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/09/u-n-to-dump-flood-of-muslim-refugees-on-u-s/

If this is true then this 10,000 is just going to be the beginning. Washington will cave in to these special interest groups they always do.
Don't worry, see Powerful here has made sure any problems with the refugee process has been fixed, he knows what problems we had before and he himself made sure they have been fixed. I feel so much safer given his unique knowledge and insight.

Actually a governor can, a refugee who isn't considered to be here legally doesn't have the "freedom" to go wherever he wants. It would behoove you (I'm addressing the poster above me Hilander and not you) to actually look up the law, although my guess is you will argue you wrote the law and thus know it.

Powerful

Registered Member
Don't worry, see Powerful here has made sure any problems with the refugee process has been fixed, he knows what problems we had before and he himself made sure they have been fixed. I feel so much safer given his unique knowledge and insight.

Actually a governor can, a refugee who isn't considered to be here legally doesn't have the "freedom" to go wherever he wants. It would behoove you (I'm addressing the poster above me Hilander and not you) to actually look up the law, although my guess is you will argue you wrote the law and thus know it.
What does the bolded part of your quote mean? It make no sense in the context of my posts or this thread. And what mythical law would it behoove me to look up?

This thread was about an organization called "The International Rescue Committee" that helps refugees who sought sanctuary in the U.S. All of the people that organization is helping are in the United States legally. So I don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Roughly 2,200 Syrian refugees have been LEGALLY allowed into the U.S. over the last four years -- we should feel proud that we have opened our doors to people from other places who have been oppressed and fled. Policies such as that are what makes America great.

That organization is helping some of those people settle. Some dumbass politician in Texas has no authority to tell any of those people they aren't allowed in his state. We live in a FREE country, where random politicians don't have that kind of dictatorial power to ban people they have decided they don't like -- whatever their bigoted reasons.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What does the bolded part of your quote mean? It make no sense in the context of my posts or this thread. And what mythical law would it behoove me to look up?

This thread was about an organization called "The International Rescue Committee" that helps refugees who sought sanctuary in the U.S. All of the people that organization is helping are in the United States legally. So I don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

Roughly 2,200 Syrian refugees have been LEGALLY allowed into the U.S. over the last four years -- we should feel proud that we have opened our doors to people from other places who have been oppressed and fled. Policies such as that are what makes America great.

That organization is helping some of those people settle. Some dumbass politician in Texas has no authority to tell any of those people they aren't allowed in his state. We live in a FREE country, where random politicians don't have that kind of dictatorial power to ban people they have decided they don't like -- whatever their bigoted reasons.
But yet the feds have the dictatorial power to force a state to take them. How do you know their reasons are bigoted. Even 50% Syrians that are here in the US don't think we should take them. They say there is no way you can fully vet someone from Syria because all you have to do to go to people that work for the government and they can change your name, history or anything you want and it will look all legit because it came from the government. Are you saying their reasons for not taking them is bigoted also.

I hate it when just because you are against something that may not be good for this country suddenly your a bigot.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

I'm afraid the courts will order them turned lose just like they did the illegals seeking asylum. They are now complaining they are required to wear an ankle monitor. I'm wondering if its going to get to the point we can't detain anyone. So I don't blame Texas for pushing back at all.

http://forums.popmalt.com/t/asylum-seekers-given-ankle-bracelets.118022/

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

We do? I can't even decide to not buy healthcare insurance without being fined. I can't even buy a gun without undergoing an extensive background check.

Just because someone has ""passed" some check doesn't mean they are free to live in whatever state they wish. They are still under restrictions. Anyone with a resident alien card still has restrictions. Reading is fundamental.

I hate it too Hilander. Resorting to those ad hominem arguments are the weapon of the mentally weak.

Powerful

Registered Member
We do? I can't even decide to not buy healthcare insurance without being fined. I can't even buy a gun without undergoing an extensive background check.

Just because someone has ""passed" some check doesn't mean they are free to live in whatever state they wish. They are still under restrictions. Anyone with a resident alien card still has restrictions. Reading is fundamental.

I hate it too Hilander. Resorting to those ad hominem arguments are the weapon of the mentally weak.
A bunch of elected state officials from Texas have no authority to ban anyone in this country legally from their state. Period.

The rest of your dancing bear act ignores my post. You are not addressing that one cogent point. So stop with the "reading is fundamental" bullshit and instead concentrate on responding to people on point.

Also, you aren't even correct with your nonsense. If you have a green card, you are free to live wherever you want in the United States -- that is what you have the green card for! It gives you the right to reside and work in the U.S. -- wherever you want without random restrictions. Not only are you intent on trying to challenge something without even addressing it coherently. Your non sequiturs that have nothing to do with what I posted aren't even correct.