Texas Holdem

Discussion in 'Cards & Board Games' started by oxyMORON, Aug 17, 2006.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Is there anybody that can give simple, easy to understand instructions on how to play? All the sites I've looked at have rather complicated instructions.

It'd also be nice if you'd included the basic sequences and terms since that's where I got a bit confused.

edit: woo hoo! first thread!

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I'd suggest going to an online site and playing to get some of them.

No-limit or pot-limit? and also ante or blind system?

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

well all I know is that you get two cards at first, and you try to make the best hand with th five cards the dealer puts out. Then all that's left would be the specific "when to say what" things

I have no idea what ante or blind, or no limit or pot limit is either. though I could just look those up

4. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

Here's the basic premise:

Deal 2 cards to each person's hand
    Bet
    Put 3 cards face up, called the Flop... all players may use these as though they were in their hand
    Bet
    Another community card is revealed
    Bet
    Another community card is revealed
    Final Bet

You may use any 5 cards between what's in your hand and what's in the community cards to make the best poker hand you can.

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

To add:

In an ante system, everyone bets the same amount before each hand.

In a blind system, the last person to act (the right of the deal I believe) pays the full ante (big blind), and the person who goes before them pays half the ante (small blind), and everyone else pays nothing unless they want to call, then they pay the full ante.

In pot-limit Hold'em, you can only bet as much as the total pot at that point (if the pot is currently 100 bucks, you can only raise 100, regardless of how much money you have). In no-limit you can bet all your money at any time, hence the "no".

Kaz

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Great beginner's guide here. Better yet, head to Partypoker.net and learn more about it. Party Poker's software is pretty good as well for learning the game.

7. Forbidden

Forbidden Guest

Yeah, if you go into a play money table at Partypoker, it's a fun way to learn the game. And it's also fun to play there even if you're experienced.