Texas high schools used cage fighting to settle disputes

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Obviously, violence as a solution to conflict isn't what a school should be teaching. Hell, even martial arts academies drill it into their students' heads to only use their fighting skills in self defense.
True...

But! You and I both know, and pardon any texan here that may take offense to this.... There are certain people in this world... in this Country.. hell even in this State we Live in ol' sunny California that dont know, wont know, and will never know that Violence is wrong and should be avoided.

Having said that... at what point should a school district just give up at preaching to these souls 'till they are blue in the face about how Violence is not the answer and that they should take their anger out by drawing a pretty picture or playing in the mud and the pottery wheel? Seriously though, there are people who I know personally who are so socially behind they literally live by the Drink, Fight, F*ck mantra.... and seriously believe its how life should be lived.

So what do you do in the case of these people? Do you let that violence time bomb continue ticking? or do you allow it to explode in small controlled explosions; ie: School endorsed cage fighting :hah:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
True...

But! You and I both know, and pardon any texan here that may take offense to this.... There are certain people in this world... in this Country.. hell even in this State we Live in ol' sunny California that dont know, wont know, and will never know that Violence is wrong and should be avoided.

Having said that... at what point should a school district just give up at preaching to these souls 'till they are blue in the face about how Violence is not the answer and that they should take their anger out by drawing a pretty picture or playing in the mud and the pottery wheel? Seriously though, there are people who I know personally who are so socially behind they literally live by the Drink, Fight, F*ck mantra.... and seriously believe its how life should be lived.

So what do you do in the case of these people? Do you let that violence time bomb continue ticking? or do you allow it to explode in small controlled explosions; ie: School endorsed cage fighting :hah:
Well, I wouldn't let them run a school...

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I would just like to clarify that this is in the so called "ghetto" part of town. Your resident Dallasite does not associate with that part of the city because he values his life.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
For goodness sakes! This is is a school and the principal is suppose to set a good example for the students! The principal should of been fired. If my son came home with a bloody nose and black eye, the school would have alot of explaining to do. Totally unacceptable!

wolfheart

Registered Member
This sounds like an urban legend in the making to me.
"Where we went to school if you had a problem with someone you threw down in the cage until only one walked out."

In all honesty this sort of practice should never happen in school,yes kids are going to fight,but the staff should not be pulling this sort of thing.

Like someone else has said,when I was at school if you had a problem with someone and both parties agreed you put the boxing gloves and head gear on and went a couple of rounds after school.
There was an after school youth club type thing and I think that is how they got away with it.
But I have to say I still think it was wrong,did I ever do it,yes but it was still wrong.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Like someone else has said,when I was at school if you had a problem with someone and both parties agreed you put the boxing gloves and head gear on and went a couple of rounds after school.

There was an after school youth club type thing and I think that is how they got away with it.
But I have to say I still think it was wrong,did I ever do it,yes but it was still wrong.
Just curious... why was it wrong? I mean seriously though, did you ever injure someone so bad it changed their life whilst participating in that organized bout?

And also, schools have Wrestling teams; Students can get long lasting spinal and muscular related injuries directly from playing wrestling in high school. Schools have Football teams; Students can get long lasting Skeletal or muscular related injuries directly from playing football. Schools have debate teams; Students can have long term mental issues related directly to participating in them to.

None of those are considered wrong and yet how often have you heard someone say something like "I had a career ending football injury in high school".

This is just one of those things where I feel the Social Taboo has blurred the lines of whats right and wrong. Just because a few people with high chairs in some bureaucracy decided one day they didnt like the concept they began sculpting the whole social taboo until its pretty much theirs to own. Yes the cage fighting isnt injury proof, nothing is, I could burn to death via some freak of nature electricity related accident as I write this post on the toilet. But what I find to be the key point here is, Minimizing casualties of something we know is going to happen.

I had a friend in High school who had a very very mean streak, he's definitely the kind of guy you wanted as your friend and not your enemy. From what I remember, and given this was 6 or so years ago. The victim in this case had stolen something from my friend. The friend found out about it consulted 2 teachers that I know of and 1 counselor that I know for a fact because I was with him when he talked to the particular counselor.

All 3 faculty told him the same thing "I didnt see it so I cant do anything about it" and so that led him to pull the whole "you wait 'till after school" type shenanigan. I figured it was just an empty threat, nothing to serious I mean I knew he was a brawler but so did others and so I figured he was using that reputation as a bluff. So after school I commenced my normal life of just heading straight to home after school. The next day my friend is glowing, he tells me he caught the kid on the way home and beat him unconscious then set his limp body on the doorstep of his house, rang the bell and left so no one would see him, and no one did. And that bothered me it really did, because the faculty knew it was gonna happen. I never saw that kid again, I'm pretty sure his family up and moved directly after that. They were city family at a country school so that particular kid already had some blending issues already, this would definitely be the anvil that broke the camels skull.

So now whats worse? That horrid display of primal uncontrolled rage or the opposite scenario where the faculty were to stick the two in a cage and control the bout?

-----------

Just for clarification, hahaha this has been a fun debate for me but I just want to clarify that I dont fully condone the idea either. I like the concept but dont ever see it becoming standard :hah: Me personally the only time I've ever gotten in a fight in my life was in hockey. Yet another example of an organized facet of aggression that yields low numbers in the directly related injury dept. I was smart enough to have the ability to control my aggression so as to keep it from every showing that ugly face in public. I for one cant say I see myself really ever in the future participating in a Bar Fight or any other unorganized event such as that.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Wow this is going back over twenty years now,but there were two things that stuck out for me.

1. I no for a fact that there were some kids in the school that used this after school boxing thing to kick the crap of kids they were bullying,they would basically threaten the kid to say yes or he would get a bigger kicking from three or four of them out of school,that threat alone was enough to make kids who stood no chance agreeing to it.

2. The so called fairness of this club was non existent,I saw kids in the first or second year getting beat around by kids a couple of years and a couple of stone heavier.
IF however it had been regulated it would have been a different story,but the way I saw it it was a way for he school bullies to get there victim at there mercy and have no call back from the teachers.

These bouts were not sporting,the teacher was there because he had to be so didnt really give a crap.
I would be all for it if it had been regulated,rules stuck to and the teacher had not been a wanker who hated most of the kids anyway.

I also had an issue that I was stopped from ever doing it after the first few times!:lol:.

Last edited: