Texas high schools used cage fighting to settle disputes

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by BigBob, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I guess this is one way to settle troubled kids. I would've loved this rather then detentions. :lol:

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Not only should they have lost their jobs, they should have also been fined and been put in jail for a few years.

Not saying kids wouldn't fight on their own but the school should have zero part in condoning it. Talk about "Fight Club". I guess somebody broke the first rule...

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I think the way they went about this is kind've ridiculous. I mean I'm not totally against it. I had a gym teacher who would give us boxing gloves, lay out some mats and watch it. It never lasted long, if anyone really got knocked down that was it. It worked beautifully too. No one was ever truly hurt, and honestly, we never really had any problems in the class because of it. No one was allowed to watch, it was a spectator kind've thing.

In a more controlled and more respectful manner an idea like this could work, I know it'll never happen though.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Yep. That's the way we roll in Texas.

5. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

That's...wow. Of course, the administrators followed the golden rule of politics: deny, deny and deny more. I hope the police check up on this periodically to make sure it actually stops.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Their very own Fight Club. Just curious, what criminal violation would it constitute if found that it's true?

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Fighting between high school kids breaks out all the time but never should a school take in any part of it. If the kids have to fight then they need to take it off of campus.

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

In Texas, probably only putting on a fight exhibition without state Athletic Commission approval.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

This one looks like fun... lemme play devils advocate here:

Having known that (the bolded part) who's to say that the School isnt actually doing a public service and actually Helping the kids health via orchestrating these fighting events?

Think about it like that... If you let Little Johnny A get pissed off and he picks a fight with Little Johnny B, chances are they are gonna take out some primal aggression. Now how many times have we heard lately on the "News about School Yard Brawl lands Student in hospital"? Because all Little Johnny A has to do is find himself some sort of school yard weapon like a tree branch or rock or something and really whip up his adversary?

By recognizing these sorts of problems in advance, could it be spun that these faculty members are actually doing a service to these students by Orchestrating and Observing the bouts... thus keeping them under control?

Basically whats more important? The fact Fighting was allowed or the fact that the outside of standard fight related injuries the Students walked away fine and quite frankly less hostile after "duking it out"?

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Obviously, violence as a solution to conflict isn't what a school should be teaching. Hell, even martial arts academies drill it into their students' heads to only use their fighting skills in self defense.