• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Texas healthcare worker has Ebola.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(CNN) — A healthcare worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola after a preliminary test, the state’s health agency said.

Texas healthcare worker tests positive; would mark first Ebola transmission in U.S. | WTVR.com
I don't know if this is someone that treated Thomas Duncan the first time he went to the hospital or after they admitted him. Wouldn't be surprised if we see more cases stemming from being in contact with Duncan.

I wish they would stop travel to and from infected countries. These temperature screenings at airports are nothing but a feel good act. Sure they could catch someone with Ebola but only if they are showing symptoms.

Thoughts?
------
I just heard on the news that this person was caring for Duncan after being admitted to the hospital and was wearing full protective gear recommended by the CDC. They were considered a low risk for contracting the disease.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Sometimes I hate being right.

It's going to spread to healthcare workers and if this trend continues it will cripple our entire healthcare system, it won't stay contained to Texas. Mark my words, healthcare workers are eventually going to jump ship for fear of their lives. It's so contagious that even taking all of the necessary precautions and using the best special equipment isn't enough. I feel like most people still don't realize just how serious this disease is.

I think that all travel other than travel deemed necessary by the government should be temporarily halted. I don't care about the extreme inconvenience to some people. If it helps stop the spread of Ebola then it's worth it.

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I dont even get what the dude from the CDC is saying in this other article I found. He claims you can only get Ebola from contact with body fluids and then only if that has contact with an injury, your mouth, or your nose. That means that its not that easy to get.
But that healthcare worker got it and she was wearing full protective gear?
So now he claims there was a breach of protocol but the healthcare worker says no.

So its not easy to get but you can get it wearing full protective gear... That could be really funny if it wasnt so serious.
CDC director: Second case of Ebola in US result of 'breach of protocol' | Fox News

When this started they said it was partly air-borne and now they say its not. I dont really believe they know everything about how it spreads.
Anyway here is where Ebola is now. The date on this image is today.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/31/world/africa/ebola-virus-outbreak-qa.html?_r=0

Imo they dont know enough about this Ebola hybrid to contain it and everything thats happening just proves that they cant.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sometimes I hate being right.

It's going to spread to healthcare workers and if this trend continues it will cripple our entire healthcare system, it won't stay contained to Texas. Mark my words, healthcare workers are eventually going to jump ship for fear of their lives. It's so contagious that even taking all of the necessary precautions and using the best special equipment isn't enough. I feel like most people still don't realize just how serious this disease is.

I think that all travel other than travel deemed necessary by the government should be temporarily halted. I don't care about the extreme inconvenience to some people. If it helps stop the spread of Ebola then it's worth it.
Some healthcare workers won't go near them now and I really can't blame them. From what I heard that is part of why they can't get it under control in Africa, not enough volunteers. I think that will get worse not better, along with Ebola.

Fear hampers recruitment of volunteers in Ebola battle | Fox News
------
I dont even get what the dude from the CDC is saying in this other article I found. He claims you can only get Ebola from contact with body fluids and then only if that has contact with an injury, your mouth, or your nose. That means that its not that easy to get.
But that healthcare worker got it and she was wearing full protective gear?
So now he claims there was a breach of protocol but the healthcare worker says no.

So its not easy to get but you can get it wearing full protective gear... That could be really funny if it wasnt so serious.
CDC director: Second case of Ebola in US result of 'breach of protocol' | Fox News

When this started they said it was partly air-borne and now they say its not. I dont really believe they know everything about how it spreads.
Anyway here is where Ebola is now. The date on this image is today.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/31/world/africa/ebola-virus-outbreak-qa.html?_r=0

Imo they dont know enough about this Ebola hybrid to contain it and everything thats happening just proves that they cant.
I think it is airborne as far as a sneeze or mucus from a cough can travel. Ebola can also live for days under certain conditions outside the body.

It does seem strange they keep saying its not that easy to get but people covered from head to toe get it. I guess she could have touched her nose without thinking about it. A lot of hospitals make people work 12 hours shifts so he/she could have screwed up. You know how you will do something automatically like that without thinking.

I'm wondering if Macedonia is going to be added to that chart you have posted. I've been trying to keep an eye out for any news of what the British man died of. They said he had all the symptoms of Ebola but his friend claims they have never been to Africa.

http://www.generalforum.com/other-discussions/macedonia-checking-ebola-after-briton-dies-111129.html

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah this is definitely gone global and now theres new issues today in Liberia - a strike. The article says that the healthcare workers went on strike before to get more protective gear but the government refused. So now they will be on strike today because so many healthcare workers have died.
Liberia health workers' strike on Monday could hurt Ebola efforts - Yahoo News
It will hurt the fight against Ebola but I don't blame them. Who wants to expose themselves to a deadly disease without adequate protection. I imagine its hard enough when you do have protection because you could still become infected.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It could even get worse if other healthcare workers decide they dont wanna risk their lives in other countries too. That would just help the pandemic. Those workers should always get the best protection and training to avoid spreading the disease. I just hope the US or somebody kicks in to get them the protection they need to stop it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Another nurse has Ebola in Dallas. I just heard that on TV but I've yet to find a link.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone these nurses were taking care of come down with it too. They were taking care of Duncan and other patients in the beginning.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Found a article about it. She started showing symptoms Tuesday.

Second female healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola in Texas | Daily Mail Online

I don't think a lot of hospitals are prepared to care for Ebola patients so I'm not going to beat on this one too much. Might be a good idea to send them all to a few hospitals. Still all hospitals are going to have to deal with the initial visit before they are transferred.

However having biological waist piled to the ceiling doesn't seem like a good idea even if its in the patients room. You don't allow nurses to care for someone with Ebola and other patients in the hospital when he first arrived the second time. Can't believe they did that after Duncan telling them he was from Liberia even if there hadn't been a positive test yet.

They made a lot of mistakes. One of the reasons I think it could spread here easier than they think if all hospitals don't learn from this mistake.

'Nurses are not protected, they're not prepared to handle Ebola': Angry nursing union says | Daily Mail Online