Texas Death Row Inmate set to die today wants a DNA test.

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
Texas inmate awaiting last-minute stay of execution seeks DNA test - CNN.com

From CNN:
Texas state lawmakers are among those calling for a last-minute reprieve for a condemned inmate who is requesting DNA testing of evidence, even as he is set to die Wednesday night.

Henry "Hank" Skinner, 47, is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET) for the New Year's Eve 1993 murder of his live-in girlfriend, Twila Busby, and her two sons, Elwin Caler, 22, and Randy Busby, 20, in Pampa, Texas.

"Since his arrest in the early morning hours of January 1, 1994, Mr. Skinner has always and consistently maintained that he did not commit the crimes for which he was convicted," defense attorney Robert Owen wrote this month in a 30-page letter to Texas Gov. Rick Perry, seeking a 30-day reprieve of Skinner's execution.
Skinner's attorneys maintain that DNA testing of the evidence could establish his innocence and determine the real killer.

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to issue a ruling on a stay of execution in the case Wednesday. If the high court denies Skinner's request to review the case, the decision falls to Perry, according to David Protess, a Northwestern University professor and director of the university's Medill Innocence Project, which has investigated Skinner's case.
So what do you think does he deserve the right to a DNA test despite the fact that he has been in Death Row for over a decade. I personally don't think he deserves the testing and the timing of the request just makes it seem like he just wants to delay the process even longer.

BigBob

Registered Member
If he's maintained his innocence for 17 years, then yeah, I think he deserves it. If they don't grant it, they could be putting down an innocent man.

BigBob

Registered Member
I think he does deserve it, and the fact that it hasn't been done already says there's a problem somewhere.
I'd assume they don't want it to be the case of "we just put an innocent man in jail for 17 years and we don't want people to fond out".. one of those kind of deals

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I'd assume they don't want it to be the case of "we just put an innocent man in jail for 17 years and we don't want people to fond out".. one of those kind of deals
Yeah that could possibly be the main reason why he hasn't gotten a test in 17 years. They probably don't want to deal with the media circus that would come with having an innocent man on death row.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would say give him the test. There is nothing worse than executing an innocent person. If he really is innocent then it's terrible enough that he's been in jail for 17 years for this. If we have the means to do the test then he shouldn't be denied that.

BigBob

Registered Member
I'm not saying that's for sure the case, because he may have full well murdered them.. but it's the first possibilty that pops into my head.

JAdams

Registered Member
Well, you never know. Do the DNA tests. If he did do the crime, do the sentence. If not, and it turned out that WHOOPS we've been holding an innocent man on Death Row for 17 years, then apologize and send him free.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I dont understand why their has not been a DNA test already. Surely it would of been in the interest of both the prosecution and the defence depending on his innocence.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Die today, die tomorrow; it doesn't really make a huge difference. He deserves the test. You don't get to call it a justice system if the system isn't just.