• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Test Anxiety, Help?

dDave

V.I.P.
I had several tests earlier this week. I felt very uncomfortable when taking all of them. I don't know what's up, I used to do well on tests. I sort of feel this pressure to perform though. It just sort of dawned on me that the tests are worth the majority of my grade in the entire class. If I screw something up then I lose a lot of points in classes that are already difficult.

Does anybody know of any way to help test anxiety? I don't want to have this happen again on the next round of tests.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tests are very stressful especially if they count so much towards your final grade. I always stressed over tests and usually couldn't sleep the night before. Being sleepy during a test didn't help either.

Might try meditating before the test.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Try believing in yourself more. You are smart and you said yourself you used to do well. Make sure you revise as much as possible and do some breathing exercises.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's all about confidence, which just comes down to preparation and knowing the material. Study, give your practice tests, whatever you have to do. Once you've done everything you can do to prepare, there is really no reason to stress at all. All you can do at that point is believe in yourself and trust that you've prepared enough, and then go do the best you can do.

I think a big reason why some people get test anxiety is because they're too worried about the future and the fear of failure overwhelms them. You can't worry about that stuff. You can't have the mindset of "I have to do well." I think it's easier to relax if you take the test as though you have something to prove. Prove how well you've prepared for it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Take a muscle relaxer! I did that before a few finals and it worked wonders. Most of the time you just need to put your pen/pencil/mouse down, close your eyes and take a few deep breathes (in through the nose, out through the mouth to activate your sympathetic nervous system), and then continue once you've lowered your heart rate.

dDave

V.I.P.
I know I haven't been sleeping well lately, that may be part of the reason.

I think a big reason why some people get test anxiety is because they're too worried about the future and the fear of failure overwhelms them. You can't worry about that stuff. You can't have the mindset of "I have to do well." I think it's easier to relax if you take the test as though you have something to prove. Prove how well you've prepared for it.
How would you go about that though? What if I study for days and still don't feel prepared for a test? There are certain subjects in college that are known for being incredibly hard for pretty much all students. No matter how much studying I do, I know that I won't feel fully prepared for it.

I know it's all mental, that's the most annoying part about it. Mentally preparing for something for something like a test should be easy.

Bcatz3

Registered Member
I had several tests earlier this week. I felt very uncomfortable when taking all of them. I don't know what's up, I used to do well on tests. I sort of feel this pressure to perform though. It just sort of dawned on me that the tests are worth the majority of my grade in the entire class. If I screw something up then I lose a lot of points in classes that are already difficult.

Does anybody know of any way to help test anxiety? I don't want to have this happen again on the next round of tests.
Sometimes it helps not to cram everything in at the last minute. If you give yourself enough time to study and take deep breaths before taking the test you should be alright. It's when you tell yourself that your not going to do well you get nervous. It helps to get a good night sleep before a test too.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How would you go about that though? What if I study for days and still don't feel prepared for a test? There are certain subjects in college that are known for being incredibly hard for pretty much all students. No matter how much studying I do, I know that I won't feel fully prepared for it.

I know it's all mental, that's the most annoying part about it. Mentally preparing for something for something like a test should be easy.
You just go do the best you can and whatever happens happens. That's all you can really do. It's not the end of the world if you fail, and that's what you have to realize.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I was always anxious before tests. I used it to my advantage though. I put the anxiety into studying more and reviewing my work over and over and over again. Only problem with that was that I was typically anxious because I start studying last minute. I used to summorize my work way ahead of time, and then start studying 2 days before a test.

I was able to do that though because all of my subjects were pure memory type work, with the exception of accounts. And on this I have to agree with Maj. I failed accounting miserably (4 times - who does a multiple choice accounting exam, seriously?). Till this day I haven't passed that stupid accounting, but it's made no difference in my life. I've never struggled finding a job in whichever country I worked in and do pretty well for my age today. So it's not really the end of the world.

Good luck though Dave. I'm sure your anxiety is over nothing and that you'll do great. ;)