• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Terrorism and Society

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Every time there's a major terrorist attack it of course becomes the center of media attention for some time. This most recent attack in France is getting even more attention because it strikes not only at a people, but a valued ideology. As these attacks continue and become more frequent, and as disenfranchised or just socially disenchanted youth begin seeking purpose or recognition in extremist causes, the divide between the democratic and Muslim world will continue to spread wider. As more attacks occur, more animosity is bred not only against Muslim extremists, but Muslims in general, among those who find the distinction increasingly dubious. An animosity that will undoubtedly drive more Muslims into the arms of extremist factions. Perhaps this was the plan all along. What will be the ultimate result if this situation is permitted to continue on it's current course? Is there any way that ordinary people can possibly impact this course?

... Your thoughts?

- Chameleon

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most of us that are not Muslim can make no real difference on what Muslims believe. Only Muslims can do that.

Saudi Arabia gave a man a thousand lashes just because he insulted Islam online. He wants an end to religious domination on Saudi life. So some are speaking out for change.

Saudi Arabia begins 1000 lash sentence for blogger

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm not suggesting we try to change Muslim beliefs. Only that we try to find a better way to deal with the problem of terrorism. If there are Muslims who want to live in a society where women are collectible sex toys to be traded like baseball cards, where marrying age is 9, and other such things that we non-Muslims find repugnant, and they want to be somewhere where outside ideas like democracy and freedom of speech, etc. are not present, why shouldn't they have a place like that? We have a place where we can practice our values, why shouldn't they? Let their society evolve at it's own pace just as ours has. Remember what happened last time someone tried to force a change in our way of life? That was Hitler, and we didn't like the idea very much.

- Chameleon

P.S. Yes, I am being half sarcastic, but I am not going to say which half. :D

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Comparing what Hitler did and trying to change the Muslims way of life is two different animals. Hitler wasn't trying to change things for the good. Trying to get Muslims to change to be more inclusive of their own people and not allowing pedophilia is different.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Hitler was trying to change things to his idea of "for the better". And that's the point. Is our society and our ways perfect? We have laws for criminal activity, but how often is the worst of it given an almost laughable sentence? There, if you steal something you lose your hand. Extreme yes, but chances are Lefty won't be re-offending. Over there, there are things held so sacred that they are never to be mocked or defamed. Over here, everything is to be mocked and defamed, especially if it is held sacred. One would argue that we, as a society, hold nothing sacred. Is this better? And even if it is, is the way we are trying to bring about reform the right way?

- Chameleon

Last edited:

Sim

Registered Member
On the other thread, I posted a study about what Muslims believe.

The result is mixed. On one side, an overwhelming majority of them rejects terror in the name of Islam. On the other side, the minority that does not, is still large enough to give the radicals plenty of resource for recruitment.

I think we have only two options:
A) A "final solution to the Muslim question" along the lines of what Hitler proposed regarding the Jews: Just rally them all up and murder them.

or B) we have no choice but keeping a calm head, not conflate radical islamism with mainstream Muslims, and continue a dialogue with the Muslim communities here inside the West.

As for the original posting: Yes, that was absolutely the strategy of Al Qaida. Read this:

Sharpening Contradictions: Why al-Qaeda attacked Satirists in Paris | Informed Comment

Al Qaida hopes to radicalize both sides. Until both sides are so radical and the country gets a kind of civil war, which will make it ripe for Al Qaida to collect the pieces.