• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Terrible Calls in Sports

BigBob

Registered Member
I figured I'd make this in light of the terrible call tonight during the 19th inning of the Pirates/Braves game. The umpire called Lugo safe at the play whenever it is clear that we tagged him out. Lugo thought he was out as well, and you can tell that until the ump waved his arms that he was pissed that he got caught.

‪Jerry Meals Worst Baseball Call Ever! (HD)‬‏ - YouTube

What are some of the worst calls you've seen?

Another that can be worst, sticking with baseball, was Gallaraga's "Perfect Game" that was blown on the final out. At least in that case, the umpire felt very bad and apologized about it.

‪Armando Galarraga--History Would Have Been Made‬‏ - YouTube

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Terrible calls happen all the time. Some times we have to remember that the guy is so fast that the umpires or referees can't see everything. Also, a lot of them don't have the luxury of having instant replay like us fans do.

But I admit, that Galarraga call is one of the worst I've seen in sports. I actually watched that game live and couldn't believe it that the runner wasn't out. I was also shocked that Armando didn't lose his cool.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Wow, that runner was as surprised as everyone else. It looks like meals meant to say out but got his arms mixed up and said safe instead by accident. That runner was clearly out though, it doesn't even look like he touched the plate even after the call when he skipped off to celebrate. I feel bad for the ump cause he's gonna be catching a lot of flack. I guess you can't challenge the ruling like you can in football eh?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In Baseball only Home Runs can be reviewed. People believe if you had challenges like Football do the game would take even longer to complete. Personally, I believe there should be challenges for plays like that, just because it happens way to often where the umpire is wrong at the plate. It even happened to the Jays this year and they lost the game because the umpire called him out when he was clearly safe.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The one that immediately jumps into my mind was the missed call at first base at the 1985 World Series between the Royals and the Cardinals. Thanks to Don Denkinger we've won 10 Championships instead of 11.