Temporary Relationship

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by ysabel, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Would you get into a relationship with someone you think is the most compatible person ever with you, and you're both in love...except that, you know that the person will die or completely disappear from your life after three years. For the 3 years though, everything is normal, like there is no definite end to it (no grave sickness, etc.).

Would you go for it? For the experience of what could be your greatest love? Or would you protect yourself - why invest in something that you are definitely sure to not last no matter what you do? Why hurt yourself?

:popcorn:

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

In this case yes, I'd take the risk!
    Those people hardly come into your life, once they come you gotta keep them no matter how much they will stay in your life.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I think I would do it if I knew the person was going to die in a few years. Finding that kind of connection is extremely rare, and it would be worth the after-ache to feel the intimacy.
    If the relationship were destined to end for any other reason, I don't think I'd choose the pain. It would be horrendous for me to know he was out there, possibly with someone else and unreachable to me.

Those answers may not make sense, but that's ok. I'm not expecting anyone to understand.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    Bliss and ysabel like this.
  4. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

None of my previous relationships have felt like they were built to last forever. However that hasn't stopped me having them. I wouldn't want to miss out on 3 amazing years of experience with someone just because it wasn't gonna be for the long haul. Pretty much all relationships at my age aren't for the long haul anyway.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    ysabel likes this.
  5. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

It's a really tough question. Looking at it from the opposite angle (as in, if I'd already spent 3 amazing years with someone and then they suddenly died in a car crash or something equally as tragic, THEN you asked would I prefer to erase them from memory/take back the time I spent in the relationship) I'm inclined to say I'd go through with it anyway.

From this angle, it's more difficult. I'm prone to curling up in a ball and dying if I'm crushed like that. It's never happened, not even close, but I've had experiences that scare me because I can kind of guess from them just how 'well' I'd cope with much bigger situations like this, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I'd probably do it.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'd take that choice too...to experience it, even if I know it wouldn't last. However, is it because we're sure it's going to be good? I mean how often people advise their friends against pursuing a relationship with someone where there's no foreseeable "future". Like they know the guy/girl isn't for long term or will leave that person after a certain time, no matter how that person makes their friend so happy right now. It's no longer just making a choice to love but just risk, risk, risk and red flag.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  7. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Well...the situation that you mentioned in the OP is exceptional. Knowing that the person won't be there after 3 years, knowing that he could be the best match are strong points to give it a try. [especially the first].
    If the person was there, I might not hurry ...and would let time decide it for us ...

8. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I would want to experience what its like to be with the perfect person. I have been unable to find that one person so far so it would be awesome, if only for 3 years.

It would be tough and it would suck but nothing is impossible to get over and move on from. I'd do it.

ysabel likes this.
  9. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

yes, I would. I'd rather experience love than not experience love at all- even with the risks involved.
    ...I mean even if we wern't in a dire situation like this, we still take risks everyday by getting involved, falling in love, blahblahblah- nothing in life is ever certain.

10. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Come to think of it, I think I'd get envolved even if it was for only a couple of days.