Teeth Whitening... Obsession?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Here's an interesting subject that you don't hear about every day.

How white should your teeth really be? - CNN.com

teeth whitening, according to a lot of dentists it has become an obsession to have the most perfect teeth possible to a lot of people.

Personally I understand getting your teeth whitened every few years if they actually need it and just let it fly if they don't, nobody's teeth actually need to be whitened but everyone needs to get their teeth cleaned.

If a young person uses these products before his or her permanent teeth are completely and fully grown, "then the whitening makes no sense," says Dr. Mickey Bernstein, president of the American Academy of Aesthetic Dentistry. In those situations, if the teeth are bleached and then more surfaces are exposed due to normal tooth maturation, the new growth and the older bleached tooth might not match. That might leave a two-toned appearance, not exactly the dazzling white look originally sought.
Looks like I should tell a few of my friends just how dumb it is to get their teeth whitened every year.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've never gotten my teeth whitened, I get them cleaned every six moths but have never even thought about getting them whitened. I'm not really concerned about having super white straight teeth.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I've never gotten my teeth whitened, I get them cleaned every six moths but have never even thought about getting them whitened. I'm not really concerned about having super white straight teeth.
I've never had them whitened either, I just never saw a reason to, if you take care of your teeth properly then they stay pretty nice and white.

I am getting back on track for 6 month checkups I just didn't go for 2 years and return to find that i have just a small cavity, if I were to ever want to get my teeth whitened then I would need to get my small cavity filled and I don't plan to do that, the dentist said to floss it well every day and it shouldn't grow in size..

My buddy actually is pretty obsessed with his teeth being white. He always chews whitening gum, doesn't drink anything that is even slightly rumored to stain your teeth. Hell, he even gets pissed if someone has whiter teeth than him. I'm not sure how often he has them whitened, but either way it's pretty sad.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
My cousin is like that. He goes in to get his bleached and all that jazz. I personally think its a waste of money.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I always find people with perfect white teeth look a little strange. It is not a natural appearance a bit like fake breasts or old people with solid tone hair. I would prefer someone(partner) to have healthy teeth rather than perfectly white teeth.

Bliss

Sally Twit
If you look after your teeth then you don't need to do it. I get annoyed when I see celebs with their big fake white smiles.

wooly

I am the woolrus
we get quite a few american tourists in my town and i have to say...

you guys have fantastic teeth! :D ( <--- literally like that)

mostly just healthy looking and well taken care of. However there are a few that you can tell have been whitening and bleaching and whatever else there is to make your teeth whiter than white, and it's really offputting. Especially when combined with a nice healthy ultra orange glow. :p

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I take good care of my teeth so I don't think they need whitening.

I understand why people would want to do it. It's like having anything else done to your body. It makes you look and feel better about yourself.

I'm British, so..

But I agree that they can be too white (episode of Friends and Ross' teeth whitening comes to mind). My tooth shade is natural. They're not super white but no yellow tint either. I like them natural, though I'd rather bright white than the sweetcorn teeth.