• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teens Don't Know Who OBL Is

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm not surprised. Some people don't like reading or watching the news. And unless they're directly affected by some kind of terrorist attack related to OBL, I don't think they feel like they're missing anything from their lives. Then there are others who are simply socially unaware. Take for example that roommate of Bex, who lives in the UK, and doesn't know a bunch of world-famous people/characters like Harry Potter or the Beatles. You must have been completely sheltered from the entertainment industry to not know them or geez, they're like products of the UK, has she been avoiding tourist shops and all that too? :lol:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I'm not surprised. Some people don't like reading or watching the news. And unless they're directly affected by some kind of terrorist attack related to OBL, I don't think they feel like they're missing anything from their lives. Then there are others who are simply socially unaware. Take for example that roommate of Bex, who lives in the UK, and doesn't know a bunch of world-famous people/characters like Harry Potter or the Beatles. You must have been completely sheltered from the entertainment industry to not know them or geez, they're like products of the UK, has she been avoiding tourist shops and all that too? :lol:
Haha, it's funny you mention that because I just came here to post that I know someone who had no idea who OBL was. My little cousin... well, she's 16 or 17 now I think. She posted something like "who is osama bin laden anyway lol" on facebook and I thought she was joking at first.

Interested

Registered Member
I think it is a little different with film stars, band members and etc... I am not interested in the majority of today's celebrities either as I do not even understand how some of them did not drown in their tea yet... But not knowing what are the biggest threats and events in the world is a little blind... I just don't know if they are, in fact, missing out on anything....

One of my facebook friends posted saying that she was happy Osama is dead and that all the people can now rest without any fear.... Now when I first read this, I was shocked by the naiveness of the comment and, to be honest, a little angry. But then I thought... What is she missing out on? If she was the least bit concerned about Osama before, she isn't now. And is that a bad thing?
Of course, closing your eyes on issues like this will not solve anything, but at least some are at rest now... It is better when people like this think everything is alright than when they run around screaming "we're all going to die...". Not good for them, not good for others...

laserlight

Registered Member
How do they know why people ask who that guy was? cuz they could just want to find out more about him and i already knew who he was. dad told me when they found him and i didnt google anything like that. if they want to know all about it they can ask there parents. =)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is ridiculous, but... expected.

Some people, especially young people, are not tuned in whatsoever to current events, so the recent death of bin Laden could have came to some surprise.. and for people who are 16 now, it makes sense. They were 6 when OBL was all over the news. He wasn't as common since and could have been missed if tuned out of the news.

BigBob

Registered Member
You guys act like they taught people who Osama Bin Laden was. We NEVER talked about 9/11 or Osama Bin Laden when I was in elementary, middle or high school. If it wasn't for me watching 9/11 on TV when I was in 5th grade while it was happening or the fact that I actually watch the news, I wouldn't know who or give a shit who Osama Bin Laden was.

Some people don't watch the news, it's not a law that people have to know.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
@Interest: Harry Potter is considered as a big threat to society in some countries? They burn their books or ban it. :hah:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Some of the people I have on Facebook posted statuses asking who OBL is and I just facepalmed myself. It just shows how far our education has came and the development of technology keeps the kids away from the television and reality.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
As others have said I am not overly suprised by this. I don't think it helps that for a long time the war was focussed on Saddam Hussain being the prime target. OBL until recently was pushed to the background and wasn't really spoken about.

I remember after 9/11 I became a lot more interested in Human Rights, The Legality of war etc and I ask my mum who was in the wrong and what The Gulf and Operation Desert Fox was about, my mother being in her fifties I assumed she would know but she couldn't answer as she simply didn't know.

I don't think it is a case of being stupid more mis-informed.