• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teenagers and Drugs

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
Hey, all!

Well, where do I start. I Might as well cut to the chase. My oldest son has recently confided in me that he's been getting high. He say's he only smokes reefer occasionally and that it's only on weekends. While I appreciate his honesty I would be lying if I were to say I'm not more than a little concerned. He's a good kid. He's an honor role student and plays two varsity sports. The problem I'm having is I feel he may be heading down the same path that I did when I was a teenager, one that nearly destroyed me. How do I approach him and voice my displeasure without being a hypocrite? He knows full well that I was quite the drug user in my younger days. I fear he'll view my success in life as proof positive that drug use doesn't always lead to the dark side. You see, after I stopped using, I became a degreed professional and a well respected member of our community. If you have any advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Hoosier

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
You should tell him that drugs nearly destroyed your life and that if you hadn't quit you wouldn't be what you are today. Explain to him that if he keeps up this 'occasional smoke' it'll become worse and he'll ruin his life.

You also need to reassure him that you'll always be there to help him if he struggles. Don't yell at him about it either, it'll just push him to keep doing it.

Hope it helps.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
If he's smart, and it sounds like from your description he is, he'll know not to let it get out of hand, and he wont let it. By telling you at all, and by limiting it to the occasional weekend, it shows that he is responsible enough to not go too far with it. Weed is one of those drugs that when used in moderation is relatively harmless, relatively free of long term damages, and not hugely addicting. It sounds like your son is using it in moderation, and knows better than to let it get beyond that. (your son sounds like me actually... creepy.)

If you still feel the need to talk to him, I agree with Pugz... don't show that you're angry at him, or insist that he stop, but give your suggestion as one who's been through a lot of experiences that he maybe hasn't. I think it might be smartest to tell him that moderate smoking is ok, but just warn him not to let it get too frequent, and to not start messing around with other, more dangerous/addicting drugs.

He'll tell you he knows and he wont... and you know, it's probably true.

merob

Boom!
Talk about some of the dangers smoking may lead to.
They're a lot of harmful additives included weed bags now. A few people here died from smoking laced marijuana.
It's good he limits use of the drug. As a teenager I'm probably in the same position. I also play two varsity sports, and smoke occasionally on weekends - how ironic. Not to mention I currently have an 82 average. When my mother questioned me about drug use, I had trouble taking her seriously. She'd admitted she smoked frequently growing up. She also had the tendency to make accusations during our discussions. Once she realized I started getting high, she made the assumption I was doing it all the time. She "knew" for sure, weed among other things were damaging my focus, despite any other relevent difficulties. She also blew things completely out of proportion, describing my life as a consistant downward spiral, which in my opinion came off silly and unrealistic. After several assaults, I began to ignore her advice (don't worry, things haven't changed much between us...unfortunately. I'm sure you'll stay on good terms with your son). If you decide to confront your son, I'd recommend approaching him subtly.
Other then that, a good focus at this point would be making sure this doesn't get out of hand? Truthfully, I doubt it'd turn into much of a problem anyways.

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
Tell him how you honestly feel and use examples. Yes it's true that you turned out good, but you can alwayZ use other people as examples as to how they didn't. It's good that he came out truthfully whit you. You need to be truthful with him and by doing so he'll have a good understanding of things. Just be there for him. Hopefullyyou have been a good father and raised him well, so he'll do the right thing. If not then it's never to late. Just be open and honest and there for him no matter what is what I have to say.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

Weed doesnt really do anything anyway, your brain cells just lay dormant for a while, but they are not destroyed, plus I've never heard of anyone ODing off of weed, unless it was laced with something. I really wouldnt worry, he is a teenager, he will do what he wants regardless of what you say, the fact he does it only on the weekends is a sign that he knows not to become a huge pot head.

If you start to see a decline in grades, etc, then I would approach him, and remind him of your past, what happened to you, and how he is going down the same road. Evidently you arent that bad off if you have children though.

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
Piccolo said:
Weed doesnt really do anything anyway, your brain cells just lay dormant for a while, but they are not destroyed, plus I've never heard of anyone ODing off of weed, unless it was laced with something. I really wouldnt worry, he is a teenager, he will do what he wants regardless of what you say, the fact he does it only on the weekends is a sign that he knows not to become a huge pot head.

If you start to see a decline in grades, etc, then I would approach him, and remind him of your past, what happened to you, and how he is going down the same road. Evidently you arent that bad off if you have children though.
Nice Pic. That was well said.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Using you as an example would probably be better because you're living proof that quitting drugs is good. Weekends will turn into more frequent occurances. Mybe he's stressed out or something. There's more ways to deal with stress than to do drugs.

B

Bio248

you could probably tell him what happened to you, but more than likely he wont take it to heart as much as you would think. coming from someone who also smokes a ton of pot, i dont know that its really that big of a deal either. its just like drinking and at a certain age you just kinda get into it. some come back and others just dont care for it. i for one, go to one of the best schools in the nation for engineering, work a steady job, and have great public relations with everyone including my family.

id be more concerned if he let it get to him rather than having it used as something to do on weekends. just tell him that its not necessarily a good thing that he is smoking, but he has to keep it under control and to not allow it to let him slip up in something more important.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
I agree with Pugz. Tell his honestly about how it almost destroyed you. Tell him how getting away from it was the best thing to happen to you. Remember use positive encouragement, but don't ever make it feel like you are looking down on him in his inexperience. You can get him through this by showing how much you love him and supporting him the best you can emotionally.