Teenager dies - sucked into swimming pool pump

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
MSN News said:
Teenager dies after being sucked into pool pump

A schoolboy from the Isle of Man has died in a Thai swimming pool after being sucked into its pumping system.

Nathan Clark, 14, was last seen lifting an underwater grille at the bottom of the pool at the Pattaya Water Park apparently looking for his goggles.
Nathan's body was found about 30 minutes later in the pool's pump room after engineers opened a water gate.

A camera team was at the park and pictures of the search and the grim discovery have been posted on local news websites.

The boy's father, Jim Clark, claimed lifeguards initially failed to respond to the incident after being alerted, thinking instead the family was playing a joke.

He dived into the outdoor whirlpool to save him after Nathan's 15-year-old brother Rhys raised the alarm.

He told reporters: "The guards did nothing, not for 30 minutes. They would not believe what had happened.

"When I finally forced them to do something they went to the pump room, opened a hatch and my son's body came out."

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "Our consular people in Thailand are giving assistance at this tragic time for the family."
Teenager dies after being sucked into pool pump - , - Latest news & weather forecasts - MSN News UK

Thirty fucking minutes for the lifeguards to react, and all they did was 'open the pump room hatch'. :shake: They're supposed to react immediately. If you're charged with saving people's lives, you can't judge whether or not it's a joke. You fucking get in there and do your job. :mad:

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
Oh my god, what a tragedy! I've heard of this happening to little kids, but a teenager? That must have been a serious pump. You would think the lifeguards would be aware of its power and not think the family was joking! I hope they sue the shit out of that pool and those "lifeguards" go to jail.

How terribly sad. :(

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
That sounds really awful. Even if the lifeguards thought it was a joke they should of reacted anyway because that's their job. It's not for them to judge if it was a joke or not until they at least go look at the situation and try and do their job. I hope they get fired for not doing their jobs properly.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Apparantly, the reason they thought it was a joke was because they didn't believe a child could lift up the pump's grate. :shake:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Maybe I'm just cold, but I didn't get outraged at the lifeguards immediately, I want to know why the grate was so easy to remove in the first place.

Eek, that sounds like an awful way to die. And, a teenager!? Sheesh, he must have been a skinny kid to get sucked into a pool pump. =(

Scissorhands

Registered Member
Maybe I'm just cold, but I didn't get outraged at the lifeguards immediately, I want to know why the grate was so easy to remove in the first place.
An average 14 or 15 year old boy should weight about 90-120lbs, no? If the suction was strong enough to pull the boy down then I don't think he could have gotten the underwater grille thing open.

I think it's a phony story. No links to pictures or anything.

But if it is true, then that sucks and I feel for the family. =/

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Man, that's really just not the way to go.

If I was a lifeguard I probably wouldn't have believed it at first but seriously, it shouldn't take them 30 minutes to believe that it's true, I would have at least gone and checked to make sure, they sure didn't seem to be too concerned with doing their job well.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I want to know why it was easy for him to open the grate. That thing should be screwed shut with some sort of special tool needed to open it.

But the lifeguards should also be in a lot of trouble for failing to act.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I heard about this yesterday, the grate he ws meant to have lifted was arounf 3 feet square and from what I could gather was not bolted down.

It is a sad loss and I cant understand why the lifeguards did not react as soon as they were told of the situation, I read somewhere that the guard and the person who told hom of the incedent had trouble understanding eachother, that is one possible cause for the delay in action.