• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I have just found out that this franchise has been updated, with a new film for 2014, I had not heard anything about it before tonight.
The trailer looks like they have given the turtles an image overhaul, and it looks like it may be a little darker than previous films.

I grew up with the turtles so I am interested to see how this turns out, according to imbd it is getting released on the 30th anniversary of the turtles saga.

Anybody else interested in this, or even heard about it?.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
It does look interesting and I won't lie the "it's just a mask" line at the end did make me chuckle. There are however two problems that I see with the film from what I can see however bare in mind this only my opinion. I do like the fact they have done darker in the story, it does look like they have brought Shredder back but that is purely based on a 2 second shot.

What however makes me think there could be bad points however is the use of guns. Now I know a lot of people may not see this as a problem and wonder why I even bring this up but the original films never used them, it was all about martial arts and ninjas, take they away and you basically take away a HUGE portion of these films to begin with.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I am hopeful that the guns are going to be more to do with the gangs and crime that is explained in the trailer, from what I have seen the turtles still have the traditional weapons they always had, Leonardo was carrying two katana in the trailer and I'm hopeful that the other characters still carry the same weapons.

I admit I do like the new look of the main characters, they darker look is cool, Leo looked like he was wearing some kind of samurai chest armour, which is a nice touch.
I have not been able to find much in the way of concept art work,but I'm hoping in the coming weeks that will change.

The action in this film could go either way for me, Micheal Bay does like big explosive action, and some of that is seen in the trailer, I just don't want them skimping on the hand to hand, which is the biggest part of the turtle makeup.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
What however makes me think there could be bad points however is the use of guns. Now I know a lot of people may not see this as a problem and wonder why I even bring this up but the original films never used them, it was all about martial arts and ninjas, take they away and you basically take away a HUGE portion of these films to begin with.
I never saw any of the turtles with guns in the trailer, did I miss that?

Otherwise, I don't see an issue, of course some of the Foot Soldiers will have guns especially with a modernized version.

Like with any remake or reimagining, I'm sick of listening to the film 'critics' and hipsters cry about a remake. Yes, we get it, you liked the OLD ninja turtles. Guess what? You're old, too. The quicker you deal with that the happier you'll be. I think it's great that TMNT is staying current with younger audiences.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am giving this the benefit of the doubt...just like I am with a potential Ghostbuster 3. Growing up I was a turtle fanatic and Ghostbusters fanatic so the kid in me is somewhat excited about this.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I have watched the trailer a couple of times now, and I am really happy about it so far, as I said I think the look of the turtles is cool, and I'm hoping that the choreography is going to handled well.
This could well be the start of a new turtle craze for this generation.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I agree with you., Wolf.

I also wanted to response to this comment by Merc...

Like with any remake or reimagining, I'm sick of listening to the film 'critics' and hipsters cry about a remake. Yes, we get it, you liked the OLD ninja turtles. Guess what? You're old, too. The quicker you deal with that the happier you'll be. I think it's great that TMNT is staying current with younger audiences.

I made that immediate mistake whenever I saw the trailer. I thought, "this doesn't look the same as the old ones." Well duh, of course not. If it was the same look that would be boring.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Honestly you have to expect that some things will change,the franchise is almost 30 years old,so to garner a new generation of fans they would have to change up some things.
I am hoping that the four turtles attitudes are pretty much kept as they were, Leo was always the serious type,Don was the joker,Michangelo the whizz kid, and my favourite Raphael, who was just a hit me and keep moving attitude on legs.

I have yet to see any pics of Michangelo or Raphael,or splinterbfor that matter,but I do have high hopes for this venture.

Taliesin

Registered Member
Can't say that I like the faces of the new turtles, and that's not me being a traditionalist. They just don't look right to me.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I never saw any of the turtles with guns in the trailer, did I miss that? Otherwise, I don't see an issue, of course some of the Foot Soldiers will have guns especially with a modernized version.
I am referring to the bad guys as such who have the guns not the turtles themselves. A main plot of the first and indeed the second film as I am quite sure you know was that the Foot Clan were meant to be martial art's experts and that was why the turtles were able to defeat them, throw guns into the mix and for me it looses part of what made those first two films special.
------
I will ignore the hipster reference as I am still uncertain as to what the term even means or what is has to do with anything. But I will say I think that us old critics have the right to state that we do not think certain portions of it are correct just as much we are told by others to deal with it. We old ones are the ones who supported and therefore in a way funded that project by watching it and remaining loyal to the franchise.

Last edited: