• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teen Who Cared for Sick Mom Not Allowed at Graduation

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
High school senior misses 16 days of school, and the school won't let him go to the prom or walk at graduation because the rule is a student can only miss 14 days.

The reason why he missed so many days? His mom has terminal breast cancer, and he was working two jobs to support them and was at home taking care of her when she needed him.

Teen Who Cared for Sick Mom Not Allowed at Graduation | FOX8.com ? Cleveland news & weather from WJW Television FOX 8

They started a petition, which is the right thing to do. That's ridiculous.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
What? This is crazy! He was caring for his sick mom, not partying around! This is really ridiculous. I hope they stand up to this decision and fight it - he deserves to attend graduation more than his classmates. I really hope that he will be allowed to go.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
He's probably only technically in the wrong. I can't believe they can't make an exception for him. I'm sure in the end they will let him walk though. It's just terrible PR if they still ban him.

Then again, I'd love to see a collective boycott of graduation if he's still not allowed to attend. Now that would be awesome.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I imagine they'll give in, too. Like you said, Oxy, this is definitely bad PR for them.

It would be funny if they rented a hall in a relatively nearby city stage their own ceremonies there, and nobody not one person shows up for the "official" ceremonies. Except reporters there to take pictures of the empty hall. Hold your "Afternaprom" at a nearby motel.

Now that would be damn funny.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
They'll overturn it at the school board meeting. I can understand the principal not being able to do anything, but surely the school board can. The meeting is tonight, so I guess we'll see. I hope he's able to walk across the stage. They don't say anything about his grades, if he kept them up, was able to do all the school work, etc. I'm assuming he passed everything since this is an issue.

In my school they allowed kids who didn't pass to walk across the stage and receive a fake diploma so they wouldn't be embarrassed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Glad they changed their minds after the school district looked into the matter further. He had to help his mom and under circumstances like that there should be an exception even if he did miss more than the allotted days you can and still participate in graduation.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
They'll overturn it at the school board meeting. I can understand the principal not being able to do anything, but surely the school board can. The meeting is tonight, so I guess we'll see. I hope he's able to walk across the stage. They don't say anything about his grades, if he kept them up, was able to do all the school work, etc. I'm assuming he passed everything since this is an issue.

In my school they allowed kids who didn't pass to walk across the stage and receive a fake diploma so they wouldn't be embarrassed.
You guys got your actual diplomas when you walked across the stage? We just got some piece of paper that had some kind of information on it that wasn't really important. We had to pick up our actual diplomas a couple days later.

I hadn't thought about his grades though. I'm not sure I could pass everything while working 2 jobs and all that. I forget if high schools allow leaves of absence so a kid just doesn't fail everything he's not in attendance for.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
You guys got your actual diplomas when you walked across the stage? We just got some piece of paper that had some kind of information on it that wasn't really important. We had to pick up our actual diplomas a couple days later.

I hadn't thought about his grades though. I'm not sure I could pass everything while working 2 jobs and all that. I forget if high schools allow leaves of absence so a kid just doesn't fail everything he's not in attendance for.
Yeah, we got our actual diplomas. However, I went to a very small school and the graduating class was only 65 people, so it was probably plenty of time to get them all prepared in time for the ceremony.