• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Teen recorded bullies tormenting him and he gets in trouble.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Pennsylvania mother whose learning-disabled son was convicted of disorderly conduct for recording his bullies while they tormented him demanded the judge reverse decision and the school district apologize.

Teen convicted of disorderly conduct for using iPad to record bullies tormenting him | The Raw Story
I can't believe the school called the cops on this kid just because he was trying to prove he was being bullied. It seems that bullying is one thing the schools don't take seriously. Heaven forbid though a student records them bullying him, he gets charged with disorderly conduct, gets detention and gets to pay a fine. This is so messed up.

Thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
As someone who was bullied a lot, I can vouch for school staff and officials being a big part of the problem, at least when it comes to transparency. I can understand however how difficult with this pillow-soft country it must be to handle kids being bullied.

Taliesin

Registered Member
As someone who was also bullied as a kid, I too can vouch for what Merc is saying. At my school, the staff often turned a blind eye to bullying. I remember one of my closest friends who suffers epilepsy being pushed around while he was having a seizure. The staff did nothing, and it was clear that they didn't want to get involved, even when his angry mother confronted them about it.

I was never the same again after seeing what happened to him. And he wasn't either.

And, yeah, the people in that article are messed up. They should be very ashamed of themselves. That poor boy was trying to defend himself in the only way left to him, and they took even that away. Very very disappointing.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Maybe this kids parents should have a restraining order placed against these kids like another parent did. Then if they continue to bully him they can have them arrested.

I hope these bullies get in trouble for what they are doing but I have my doubts.

Taliesin

Registered Member
That's not a bad idea, Hi. You would hope that something would be finally done about it then should said bullies breach that restraining order. Of course, hopefully it would have the opposite effect which is the threat of legal action keeping them at bay for good.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I hate reports like these, the victim being made more of a victim by the very people who should be protecting them,it is as if the bullys get a free pass to carry on.

If this young lad had been listened to in the first place he may not of needed to record the harassment.

I was also a victim of bullys, and I would have thought that something would of changed in all the years that have passed since then.

In my own opinion the school board should feel they let this young man down, punished him for something he should not of been punished for.
Sadly it has always been pretty much the same, the victim is ignored or made to.feel like they are in the wrong while the bully gets nothing.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its BS what they did to this kid. Yet they wonder why some kids lose it and start stabbing or shooting their classmates. I don't condone doing something like that but I can imagine how some of these kids that are attacked feel if they have no one to go to that will help them.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I had the crap beat out of me in my first year of school by a group of bullys, the teachers never even registered it, but that's what it was like back then.
When it finally got to much and I did retaliate I was brought up before the head master and threatened with expulsion.

I sometimes think that schools ignore these things until the victim does snap and do something, then they try and get rid of the victim rather than the bully.

This kid had done nothing more than try to find a way proving hebwas being victimised, and the school turned the tables on him basically making him a victim of not only bullies but of the system as well.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This whole story reminds me of how poorly school staff handles reports of bullying. I think the most serious issue here is that the school staff allowed the situation to escalate to the point that the student felt like he needed to record the other student for proof. It never should have happened.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This is an interesting report for a few different reasons. What got me first was the business of this being a wiretapping scenario, according to a couple of documents wiretapping is when someone is unaware of being tapped and it is used as evidence against them, if this boy was recording them on an iPad which is a bulky object they must have known about. What also gets me is when the teacher was told "what? I was just trying to scare him" and this was not brought in to question.

For me the message in this story is plain and simple; the school and the judges are incompetent and do not know how to do their jobs. Instead of any question as to the victims mother having to pay court costs I think the bigger question is why these people are allowed to keep their jobs, fire them and make an example of them.