• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Ted Cruz Grassroots Movement

dDave

V.I.P.
We Need a Grassroots Army to Dismantle Obamacare: Ted Cruz Fires up His Audience in Iowa | Video | TheBlaze.com

Cruz believes that what America needs is a huge movement to take down Obamacare.

It's people like Ted Cruz that give me hope for the future. It's people like Ted Cruz that are actually fighting for MY future, I proudly stand with him. He's turning into a true American Hero.

Cruz makes some amazing points here. Obama promised jobs, where are they? Apparently the Senate has barely even been talking about it, doesn't seem to be a priority even though it should have been item #1 on the list a long time ago.

I have to wonder though, there are a lot of people that should be fighting alongside Cruz. I realize that a couple people are, but where is everyone else?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's people like Ted Cruz that give me hope for the future. It's people like Ted Cruz that are actually fighting for MY future, I proudly stand with him. He's turning into a true American Hero.
Ah, the Blaze :)

I hardly see anything worthy of calling him any sort of hero. He was one of the big republican names that supported the government shutdown, a move that cost our economy big time. I can't say I'd call a person that let that happen a hero. If he had fought it, I would have a bit more respect.

Is the government necessary? In my opinion, not in the size that it is now but given the state of our economy, yeah I think it was a bad move to let it shut down and the numbers speak for themselves. A 'grassroots' campaign is such a political term, especially calling for one since it defeats the entire purpose of it.

It's called a grassroots campaign because it grows out of something small not because somebody asks for it to happen. To me it's a lame attempt to grab some tea party voters and people who still don't have a party they feel they belong to.

Cruz makes some amazing points here. Obama promised jobs, where are they? Apparently the Senate has barely even been talking about it, doesn't seem to be a priority even though it should have been item #1 on the list a long time ago.
How is that an 'amazing' point? It's a fact that everybody knows! Not to mention the shutdown LOST us jobs so I think we could have a discussion on that (although I'm sure in Ted's world and many republicans, that's Obama's fault despite the fact that they let the government shutdown).

I have to wonder though, there are a lot of people that should be fighting alongside Cruz. I realize that a couple people are, but where is everyone else?
Well, for starters, he opposes gay marriage. In today's America, it's becoming a political liability to have that view. Other than that, he basically hasn't done anything of real notice yet. Yeah he's made sure he appears in the news and that his face is out there but to be honest, he just sort of blends in right now. I haven't read anything impressive or anything that makes me think I should spend a vote or put my confidence in him.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
He was one of the big republican names that supported the government shutdown, a move that cost our economy big time. I can't say I'd call a person that let that happen a hero. If he had fought it, I would have a bit more respect.
And the republicans forced the shutdowns? The democrats were refusing to negotiate at all. The republicans wanted to delay a law that a majority of Americans don't support. The republicans came back with deal after deal, and you blame the republicans still? I believe in one of the last deals they offered all they wanted was a delay of the individual mandate as well as the democrats to come to the table after the fact to discuss spending cuts, and they still said no? Ironically, now some democrats are apparently calling for the individual mandate to be delayed? I certainly blame the republicans for not making enough noise before this happened. These people in Washington. I'm sorry. It's kind of hilarious, but then again sad because they are spending our futures down the drain.

Government needs to be reduced by more than what it was during the shutdown which was around 17% I think. I'm not saying that the things that were shutdown are what we SHOULD cut, but we need to cut at least 30% out of the federal budget. How about entitlements? Welfare? Waste? ALL special funding to states for special projects, they can fund those themselves as this just redistributes wealth from some states to others. ALL earmarks. Funding overseas, to places like Egypt? Gut the federal education program as it's a joke and states can handle that on their own (not to mention they don't have constitutional authority to have it in the first place. There are loads of things the states could be doing that the federal government doesn't need to be doing. And plenty neither need to be doing.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
And the republicans forced the shutdowns? The democrats were refusing to negotiate at all. The republicans wanted to delay a law that a majority of Americans don't support.
Actually Americans did support it. Not overwhelmingly but they did.

The republicans came back with deal after deal, and you blame the republicans still?
Sure, they have the power of the purse, they chose to allow it to shutdown. There is no opinion here, just facts. They pretended to be victims this whole time and Americans didn't buy it, numerous polls have shown this.

How about entitlements? Welfare?
Every time someone tries to fight welfare as some evil monster it backfires. Ever wonder why republicans don't cry so much in public any more about drug testing welfare recipients? Because in the states they've instituted it, it doesn't work because SURPRISE, people on welfare cannot afford drugs. They succumbed to the stereotypes of the welfare recipient and put our tax dollars to waste to prove a point that the public knew wasn't truth.

Cutting welfare is not going to save us money and it's not going to help. Cutting the War on Drugs, Abstinence only education and other wasteful programs are great starts.

Gut the federal education program as it's a joke and states can handle that on their own (not to mention they don't have constitutional authority to have it in the first place. There are loads of things the states could be doing that the federal government doesn't need to be doing. And plenty neither need to be doing.
I'd be terrified of every state being allowed to dictate what they're teaching. Seems to me like it would just further divide the states in all sorts of ways. I don't think each state ha the ability to turn out a decent education with a rational cirriculum. Shit, I mean we have states that see no problem with teaching creationism as science and removing important historical events like the civil rights movement in favor of teaching weaponry of the World Wars.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I would argue the tea party is one of the most grassroots movments in recent history. This can be proven simply by the fact that they are a spread across different organizations with no single leader. Not even several leaders. More like hundreds. And hundreds of different organizations. That said, most people who support the tea party probably supported Cruz. I think it will be interesting to see if he runs for president in 2016. I'm predicting Cruz vs Clinton.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would argue the tea party is one of the most grassroots movments in recent history. This can be proven simply by the fact that they are a spread across different organizations with no single leader. Not even several leaders. More like hundreds. And hundreds of different organizations. That said, most people who support the tea party probably supported Cruz. I think it will be interesting to see if he runs for president in 2016. I'm predicting Cruz vs Clinton.
Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but how could a group with no semblance of order possibly run for any office? I mean, I wouldn't vote for someone that answers to a group with no structure, no one in charge or at least a committee of shot-callers. It just seems really shaky to put your faith in a group that in essence, has no real message or goal since by definition, it's impossible due to their total lack of structure.

Yeah, we have our ideas as to what being in the 'tea party' really means but there is no official answer, a fair amount is being left up to interpretation.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Kaiser Health Tracking Poll: June 2013 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The data shows that historically the bill is seen as unfavorable. There have been a few times that more people supported than opposed but that number never crossed 50%. Some is due to the fact that people want a law that goes farther. While some have no opinion? There are also more people who think the law will affect them negatively than positively. According to that data however, 4 in 10 polled didn't know it was still a law? And yet I'm sure they still vote.

Here's another polling source

USA TODAY/Pew poll: Health care law faces difficult future

Ironically both of these sources show that a large number of people polled have no idea what the law actually does. Or even knew the law was still in place?

Here's another source

Obamacare Polls: Little Support For Defunding But Much Uncertainty, Doubt

Showing a majority thinking it will make things worse than the current system. But admittedly also showing that a majority did in fact not favor defunding.

The polls seem to be all over the place on this quite frankly, and many show that a large portion of the public is simply not informing themselves. Their seems to be a large standard deviation on the polling results for this.

Sure, they have the power of the purse, they chose to allow it to shutdown. There is no opinion here, just facts. They pretended to be victims this whole time and Americans didn't buy it, numerous polls have shown this.
They also passed bills funding everything but attached stipulations the Democrats in the Senate didn't want. The Senate refused to allow a vote on the Houses bills and the House refused to allow a vote on the Senate's bills. It was a standoff. Naturally people blame the other side, the fact that polls showed people being more unfavorable towards the republicans is a result of media bias. Mostly what I heard in the media was "They won't pass the clean CR (there is no such think by very definition), the house won't vote on the bill." Not "the democrats in the Senate won't vote on the republicans bill" or "neither side will vote on the other's bill."

Every time someone tries to fight welfare as some evil monster it backfires. Ever wonder why republicans don't cry so much in public any more about drug testing welfare recipients? Because in the states they've instituted it, it doesn't work because SURPRISE, people on welfare cannot afford drugs. They succumbed to the stereotypes of the welfare recipient and put our tax dollars to waste to prove a point that the public knew wasn't truth.
But the fact is, our spending rates are unsustainable. Entitlement spending is growing exponentially more than discretionary spending. Something has to be done about it. The problem is politicians bribe people by promising benefits, and then they vote for them. Remember what Mitt Romney said about the 47% in the election? Well, it's true. We have to break the cycle of dependency on government. We need to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul. Eventually, you do in fact run out of other peoples money. Greece is exhibit A. Here is a good source on this,

Discretionary Spending versus Mandatory Spending Chart

What would you recommend we do to curb the entitlement spending disaster that is bankrupting our nation?

Cutting welfare is not going to save us money and it's not going to help. Cutting the War on Drugs, Abstinence only education and other wasteful programs are great starts.
These expenditures don't even begin to fix the problem. You have to look at entitlements. The problem is, no one is willing to compromise. The country is simply too polarized, and the current administration has only exacerbated that problem. Do you see Obama trying to negotiate? No you see him saying stuff like, "there's a gun to my head so I won't negotiate, my political opponents are arsonists, their too extreme." When in fact there are a large amount people on both sides of the isle at the extremes.

I'd be terrified of every state being allowed to dictate what they're teaching. Seems to me like it would just further divide the states in all sorts of ways. I don't think each state ha the ability to turn out a decent education with a rational cirriculum. Shit, I mean we have states that see no problem with teaching creationism as science and removing important historical events like the civil rights movement in favor of teaching weaponry of the World Wars.
So we need to have a everything controlled by a centralized governments because people might do something you disagree with? How did we ever manage before we had a centralized education system then? I haven't seen anyone wanting to remove things like the civil rights movement, but I could be wrong, I'm sure there are some nut jobs somewhere out there. There are also nut jobs out there who are offended by the very mention of the word "God" on a public property.

Just remember that things always work both ways. That's why I don't advocate giving the central government. The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen.
------
Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but how could a group with no semblance of order possibly run for any office? I mean, I wouldn't vote for someone that answers to a group with no structure, no one in charge or at least a committee of shot-callers. It just seems really shaky to put your faith in a group that in essence, has no real message or goal since by definition, it's impossible due to their total lack of structure.

Yeah, we have our ideas as to what being in the 'tea party' really means but there is no official answer, a fair amount is being left up to interpretation.
I think this topic goes perfectly well in this thread.

Most likely they would run within the current structure under the name of the republican party. The point is, the Tea Party previously had no one who was seriously fighting for them in Washington. Now they do. If the republicans supply us conservatives with another candidate we view as a centrist, they will lose hard. When they run true conservatives like Reagan, they win, and they win big.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Well, for starters, he opposes gay marriage. In today's America, it's becoming a political liability to have that view. Other than that, he basically hasn't done anything of real notice yet. Yeah he's made sure he appears in the news and that his face is out there but to be honest, he just sort of blends in right now. I haven't read anything impressive or anything that makes me think I should spend a vote or put my confidence in him.
If he does oppose gay marriage, that could be a point that will scare away libertarians. I have no idea what his stance is. I saw where Cruz said he was worried that gay marriage could be an affront to 1st amendment, meaning that pastors would be forced to marry homosexuals. So, I don't know if Cruz suggesting fixing that problem or opposing gay marriage. To me it just doesn't matter at all, although it is a good thing anytime libertarianism is advanced. But I understand gay marriage is kinda the in thing politically right now.

I think the TeaParty in general right now is the only place where you're going to find limited government. The only hope for rolling back this NSA stuff. Repealing ACA. And lower taxes.
On the NSA for example, this weekend it was revealed that Obama knew we had bugged Merkle's phone in 2010 and allowed it to continue. Then Peter King came out and said Obama should not apologize but we should tell Germany tough cookie. That's something that if you care about, you are not going to get change from Repubs or Dems. Maybe the TeaParty can change that. I'm not sure, but its the best hope anyway.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

Actually no they don't. It's a small majority but the majority don't favor the ACA.

The facts are the House voted not to fund the ACA, Cruz is a Senator so he couldn't possibly be why the government was shut down, this has happened hundreds of times without the government shut down, each other time parks and memorials that didnt cost anything to operate weren't closed, each other time the Senate and the president came to a compromise with the other side except this time....those are facts. Why are Republicans blamed more this time? Because the media by and large tells them so.

Every state DOES create their own curriculum. Why would that scare you more than the federal government doing the same thing? Wouldn't that be more scary?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Questions - Tea Party - October 26-27, 2013 - Rasmussen Reports?

Here is some interesting polling data on this subject. An equal number of people polled said theyidentify with President Obama as with the Tea Party. This should make the establishment moderate/spineless republicans tremble. The vast majority of their party support the Tea Party and not them. Why do you think there are calls to defund the GOP and fund tea party conservatives?

There is also some more polling data down the page which is interesting.