• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Ted Cruz epic fauxibuster (21 hours and 19 minutes)

dDave

V.I.P.
Ted Cruz ends his Senate speech: Senator's 'fauxibuster' draws to a close after 21 hours and 19 minutes - NY Daily News

Starting at 2:41 yesterday going all the way up until less than an hour ago, Sen. Ted Cruz held the senate floor. He received tons of assistance from Mike Lee (R-Utah), David Vitter (R-La.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.)

They're trying to send a clear message that the American people do not want Obamacare. Harry Reid actually called this 21 hour speakathon "a big waste of time". Guess that just confirms what I already knew about him.

Watching several hours of this happening on the Senate floor yesterday really got me hopeful about the future. There are still politicians out there that truly care for the American people and want to do what's actually best for them.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
So the guy who drags on and on for 21 hours cares about the American citizens and what they want but the President does not care about the American citizens?

I agree with this Harry Reid guy...sounds like a complete waste of time to me. But then again, I didn't listen to his ramblings.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I love how the media spins Wendy Davis filibustering the abortion bill here in Texas a "great cause" and she was "brave" and "standing up for people" but when Cruz does it it's "a waste of time". The funding for the ACA is still going to pass I'm sure, but whether it was a waste of time still hasn't been determined. I'll wait for the elections of '14 and '16 to see if it was a waste of time.

dDave

V.I.P.
I love how the media spins Wendy Davis filibustering the abortion bill here in Texas a "great cause" and she was "brave" and "standing up for people" but when Cruz does it it's "a waste of time". The funding for the ACA is still going to pass I'm sure, but whether it was a waste of time still hasn't been determined. I'll wait for the elections of '14 and '16 to see if it was a waste of time.
Right? It's as if they don't even respect the Republicans. I'll bet that I listened to more Ted Cruz in the past 24 hours than they have.

I just listened to Barbara Boxer on Cspan comparing the present situation to stuff in the past concerning medicare and Social Security. Her overall tone was incredibly condescending and very much attacking the Republicans. Though this is not a direct quote by any means, this is the message she seemed to get across to me... "Republicans lost the election in 2012, so screw all of you, we're going to do whatever we want and you can't stop us."

She then went on to paint Ted Cruz (and others) as evil people that want to keep healthcare from millions of Americans. The most laughable thing is that she called Medicare and Social Security hugely successful programs. That's simply not true.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
As I listened to Ted Cruz on this last night, he made a lot of sense. He identified one of the underlying problems to be how Congress approves spending. This is that when spending is approved it has to be all or nothing. In a single bill. Legally of course it doesn't have to be. Bills are just written that way by partisans on either side.

The house passed a bill funding everything in the government except Obamacare (which pretty much every poll shows is not supported by the American people, and never was). The senate Democrats can't pass this bill because it effectively repeals Obamacare. I hope these Republicans grow some pairs and don't vote for cloture.

When was the last time you heard anything positive about what Obamacare will do? Honestly. I fully support Cruz's position on this.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Right? It's as if they don't even respect the Republicans. I'll bet that I listened to more Ted Cruz in the past 24 hours than they have.

I just listened to Barbara Boxer on Cspan comparing the present situation to stuff in the past concerning medicare and Social Security. Her overall tone was incredibly condescending and very much attacking the Republicans. Though this is not a direct quote by any means, this is the message she seemed to get across to me... "Republicans lost the election in 2012, so screw all of you, we're going to do whatever we want and you can't stop us."

She then went on to paint Ted Cruz (and others) as evil people that want to keep healthcare from millions of Americans. The most laughable thing is that she called Medicare and Social Security hugely successful programs. That's simply not true.
It's a logically flawed argument, not surprising though since Boxer, and many people really, have the critical thinking skills of a turnip. I am 100% against the ACA, that doesn't mean I am for denying healthcare coverage for anyone. Quite the contrary, I want everyone who needs to see a doctor to be able to see one. I'm just against THIS Act. But to conclude that because I'm against this Act I want people to die is just stupid. Unfortunately that "this is a war on X" game the Left plays is bought by so many dimwits in our society.

dDave

V.I.P.
It's a logically flawed argument, not surprising though since Boxer, and many people really, have the critical thinking skills of a turnip. I am 100% against the ACA, that doesn't mean I am for denying healthcare coverage for anyone. Quite the contrary, I want everyone who needs to see a doctor to be able to see one. I'm just against THIS Act. But to conclude that because I'm against this Act I want people to die is just stupid. Unfortunately that "this is a war on X" game the Left plays is bought by so many dimwits in our society.
Right? Just say it out loud. "_______ wants to keep healthcare from millions of Americans."

Does that sound right when you say it with anybody's name filling in the blank? I wouldn't say that about a Democrat because it's not true. Nobody wants to keep healthcare from anybody, it's as ridiculous argument.

I too am 100% against the ACA, nothing can change my mind on that. The law simply has to go, it's that simple.

Still, the thing that gets me the most is that the very people that pass this into law won't be living under it.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I have to agree with Reid I think this was a big waste of time but I wonder how long he could of went if he hadn't had an appointment to be on Limbaugh's radio show.

Ted Cruz declines Reid’s offer to continue speaking so he can make Limbaugh appointment | The Raw Story
It doesn't matter but I listened to the last 2 hours along with about 30 minutes after and this did not happen. Cruz had to stop speaking at noon because of the rules. At noon, Layheigh(?) called the Senate to order, the chaplain came out and prayed and Reid asked for the floor. Reid then went on a rant calling Cruz names and calling it a waste of time (because you know Reid could have been doing so much good between 3pm and noon.) Then Mitch McConnel stood up and asked to speak. Reid then said since there was about 40 minutes left he would like the time split equally between himself and McConnel and Layheigh agreed.

I'm not coming down on you by any means, I would nevr do that. I'm just saying that Raw Story and probably most other left leaning sites that report this are liars.