• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ted Cruz announces presidential run

dDave

V.I.P.
It's about time. I was wondering who would have the guts to stand up and be the first to announce their candidacy. Looks like Ted Cruz is doing it tomorrow.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...o-pull-a-move-that-leapfrogs-the-competition/

Many of you may think he's too radically conservative, idealist, etc. I don't really care, I think he's exactly what this country needs right now. Here's one of the few people that I would actually trust to lead with honor and respect. Here's someone that would respect the constitution.

Cruzin USA!

Thoughts?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
My first thought is he can't win, but people said that about Reagan literally until the last week before the 1980 election. There are some similarities being very conservative and being on the outs with the Republican party. I'm ready for the 2016 race to get started. This one should be a fun one.

Stego

Registered Member
I think he's clever enough to position himself in a spot that leverages widespread feelings of gross dissatisfaction and anger across the country. Princeton graduate, experienced with years under his belt, and brazen; there are a lot of people who like him.

I don't take him for face value but, with a fiercely anti-LGBTQ stance and an attitude towards some that remind me of McCarthy, I bristle at the thought of him getting a foothold. Second amendment rights? Yeah, I agree with him. Anti Common Core? Having taught them myself personally, I agree. The Common Core is wrecking our schools, I've seen firsthand. Foreign policy? Worries me a little, but he wouldn't be the first hawk in the big nest.

In my honest opinion, all that is little stuff when it comes to the big thing. He denotes such a level of direct falsification of existing scientific data on climate change that I think he's rendered himself--on that topic alone--unfit to serve as the next president. Now, how much of that he believes and how much of that he says to rally his base...I don't know and it's not my place to assume or suggest. My vote is going to be long-term on that though. I'm sure he can make short term financial decisions and rustle some feather in DC, but it's imperative that someone gets in the ring who can start working with other nations to bring global commitment to sustainability.

If he swung around on that issue alone, I and a lot of others would make concessions on the other issues for a while. My undergrad was in history, so I am a big fan of our constitution just as well. More and more though as I get older, I start to worry that we'll have Atlantis syndrome--that this relatively young country will start sinking again because of myopia and fear.

Well, I'll say this...if someone said, "You need to pick the next conservative candidate and it's either Cruz or Christie (my fair state's governor)," I'd clench my teeth and pick Cruz. Please, please please please, don't let Christie get anywhere...

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Let's see. He has no executive experienced. He's been senator for just a short period. His biggest accomplishment is graduating from Harvard Law School. He has an "ethnic" name. He is of mixed ethnicity. People are already questioning his birth certificate.

Seems like a shoe in to win the presidency.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
He's far too socially conservative for me to ever support him. And like Steg said, his views towards science and the environment alone are total deal breakers for me. But there are a lot of other things that I just don't agree with him on, like growing the military, and essentially militarizing the border.

I also don't think he's as genuine and honest and some people might like to think he is. He's just another politician who says things to rally his base and/or win votes.

This is a perfect example of that...

Sen. Cruz defends Colorado’s right to legal pot a year after hitting Obama for allowing it

dDave

V.I.P.
Let's see. He has no executive experienced. He's been senator for just a short period. His biggest accomplishment is graduating from Harvard Law School. He has an "ethnic" name. He is of mixed ethnicity. People are already questioning his birth certificate.

Seems like a shoe in to win the presidency.
Just wait, you're gonna hear Democrats saying that any number of these things is bad.

At least Cruz has held a career job other than in government. Can't say the same for Obama

He's far too socially conservative for me to ever support him. And like Steg said, his views towards science and the environment alone are total deal breakers for me. But there are a lot of other things that I just don't agree with him on, like growing the military, and essentially militarizing the border.

I also don't think he's as genuine and honest and some people might like to think he is. He's just another politician who says things to rally his base and/or win votes.

This is a perfect example of that...

Sen. Cruz defends Colorado’s right to legal pot a year after hitting Obama for allowing it
It looks to me as if he's drawing a distinction between legalizing it at the federal vs the state level. That's the Constitutionally correct viewpoint, I don't see the problem.

There are legitimate reasons to disagree with the idea of any kind of significant man-made climate change. That's not to say that we shouldn't protect the environment however we can but when it's blocking us from energy independence and effectively costing us billions upon billions of dollars in various other ways, it's wrong.

----------------------

Cruz is not the kind of person that will openly recognize that he doesn't have the authority to do something and then do it anyway.

Obama has literally vowed, and then acted on vows, to go around Congress and do things on his own. That is government corruption in it's most pure form, ignoring the law and acting as if it didn't exist. Obama's entire presidency has been haunted by big corruption, big lies, and big spending.

Then there's Israel... Don't even get me started. Obama has been a piss-poor supporter of that particular ally, he ought to be ashamed of himself.

Don't worry Hoes, I recognize that you aren't a fan of Obama either. ;)

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm all for the border being guarded better, I don't know about using the military though, and undoing Obama's executive action on immigration but some of his other views, such as those on global warming, will lose me.

Personally him being born in Canada and having a Cuban father doesn't bother me. I was just pointing this out because so many, mainly republicans, made such a big deal out of it when it came to Obama.

Stego

Registered Member
Nothing could be more energy independent than renewable energy. I know that's a whole other discussion, not a debate, but it's on a lot of our minds. A few drops of healthy skepticism are good, but they don't outweigh the ocean of evidence in this case.

Regardless, he stands on a stage, tells you how his life is the archetype of the fabled American Dream, gives you his story on how he and his kin pulled up by the boot straps and came through by the grace of God, takes a few shots at the opposition, uses a few rallying words his base loves, pauses, posts a handful of general talking points, and then promises you he wants to act on your behalf. Obama did it. Cruz is doing it. Others have done it before. He's unremarkable.

Cruz is certainly capable of reversing on a narrative, certainly capable of breaking promise or character; he's human. Ask all the folks who voted for Obama and expected way better things to happen.

I think we've been allowed to work ourselves into such a vitriolic and divisive frenzy that our political system makes enemies of neighbors who really need the same things at the end of the day: security and liberty. Everyone packages those in different ways, promises them through different avenues, but lets us fight over how they can best be delivered.

If Cruz really believed in liberty, the kind that provided both safety and freedom of choice, this would be a totally different discussion.