Tech jobs on the way out?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Does anybody else think tech related jobs are on the way out? By that I mean it seems like companies are going with overseas solutions more and more instead of hiring from within the US.

I do a lot of graphic design and web development and I've noticed this trend in these markets as well.

I can't say that I blame people for going for cheaper pricing. It is unfortunate though because what used to be a very lucrative field in the US is slowly but surely moving out and leaving many people with college degrees without work.

I still think there is a big need for on-site IT people here in the US, but, when it comes to anything that doesn't require the person being physically on location it seems that the job market will become worse in the future.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've farmed out several projects to India. I am amazed at what I can get for the price. We all need to think about things differently and look at the positives of outsourcing. If you have a good idea, $200 and some technical knowledge about how to accomplish your goals you can get almost anything built. What costs 1000's just 2 years ago costs hundreds today.

What's it going to be like in 5 years? I don't know. But, for right now, there are many websites with oversees tech guys looking for work - its a good time to make your dreams reality.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Yes, almost all of the experts agree that is is happening. I recently read a book called, "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Rule the Future." It emphasized on why this is happening. Basically they can do the same job for cheaper. That's why we have to adapt to stay ahead. the jobs that we can be better at are jobs like engineering. Designing new ways to to things. Not simply writing code for something that is already someone else's idea.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What if you take Social Darwinism into account, and the techies learn how to create their own ideas to further their profession?