Teams Agree To Swap James For Howard

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ESPN -
The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets , who have been discussing a Mike James-for-Juwan Howard swap in one form or another since the February trade deadline, have agreed in principle to finally complete that deal this month, ESPN.com has learned.

An announcement of the trade's completion could be made as early as this week, according to NBA front-office sources.

The holdup stems from the possibility that another player or two could be added to the deal, sources say. The teams, though, have verbally agreed to a straight-up exchange of James for Howard at the very least.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46492/20070613/teams_agree_to_swap_james_for_howard/

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Well I think that James was a disappointment for the Wolves this year and im glad the Raps got rid of him. Good move for both teams I think though non the less.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes I am glad that the Raptors got rid of James. It shows that he was a hoger with the Raptors because he wasn't close to his 20ppg he had with the Raptors with the Timberwolves, the management told him to pass the ball to the Big Ticket because he's there leader and there best player, Sam Mitchell should of done the same job and tell to pass it to Bosh more often.

I believe that the Timberwolves win this trade, yes grant it Howard isnt has good has he once was, but he's still a good player, and will help Garnett in a lot of ways, if I was Garnett I would be happy with this move. Also it will help Foye develop more, because James was taking minutes away from him.

zunami

Registered Member
Mike James might be a ballhog and not a good playmaker but there's no way you can say that the Wolves would be the winners of this deal. Howard will be KG's backup which gives him very marginal minutes whereas Houston tried to acquire James last off-season. Minny is obviosly trying to get a bit more out of this deal and that's why the hold-up.

T

TheSportsGuy

Better trade for Houston. In Minnesota, it takes pressure off of Randy Foye for the starting guard spot, as Mike James can step into a Rockets jersey, and work to get a possible starting spot, depending on how well Rafer Alston plays.

C

Celtic Fan

it's a salary dump by Minny.
James isn't worth what they signed him for (25-30 mill i do believe)
Howard has 1-2 years left at most, so they get rid of his salary sooner.

zunami

Registered Member
Howard has three years left and James has four. Howard makes over a million more than James so it's not a great salary dump either.

TDG1987

Registered Member
I'm not sure how much Howard will help the T-Wolves, but I think James could be the key to Houston finally making it past the 1st round. He's an offensive minded player who can take some pressure off T-Mac and Yao. Houston needs guys who can make shots. If they can land a more offensive-minded head coach, I see the Rockets making a big improvement next season.

I'm not sure how much Howard will help the T-Wolves, but I think James could be the key to Houston finally making it past the 1st round. He's an offensive minded player who can take some pressure off T-Mac and Yao. Houston needs guys who can make shots. If they can land a more offensive-minded head coach, I see the Rockets making a big improvement next season.
They got Rick Adelman as a coach and Mike Bibby thrived under his coaching. Mike James has a similar game to Mike Bibby. Although Mike hogged it more.

Mike James will do just fine. Moreover I even think that he'll become the starting pointguard with Alston on the bench.

Yeah I agree with patkick. In the event that it would come down to James and Alston for the staring position I think they would give it to James. He can do good things with the ball and he could take a lot of strain off of T-Mac and Yao.